[.net] what is the best to learn for game dev in C#?

Started by
11 comments, last by EdR 15 years, 12 months ago
1st post :P i dont know if i write in the correct forum so please move this topic to the right one. i want to start to develop games but i dont know which way. i want to try XNA but it's dont seem like something really good. my friend tell me to start with simple GDI. and i just started to learn MANGED DX from the book MANAGED DX9: KICK START and i dont know what to learn. my goal is to build 2d games like these in BigFishGames or Reflexive something nice not too 3D complicated. thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Welcome to gamedev Paci,

If you want to create a 2D game you absolutely should use XNA (and C#).
XNA is not only much easier to learn than Managed DX or GDI+,
but it's just as powerful as Managed DX.

Managed DX has been abandoned by Microsoft, XNA completly replaces it.
You also won't use GDI much anymore in the future; thanks to Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).

I'd recommend you to learn the basics of C# before you try to use XNA thought.
You should know the basics of object oriented programming.

Try to make some Console games; what about a simple Question/Answer adventure game?
You can even make interactive 'action' games using the console.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions ;)
[heading]-------------------------| Blog |[/heading]
Well if you have already learned MDX XNA should be easy to pick up since it's just MDX 2 really.
You only want to go GDI if you want to stick to winforms.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
i know the basics of c#.
i learned C and C++ before and made some nice console games
and i really want to start windows games finally.

so you think XNA would be good choice?
XNA is the way to go imho. You can get a Sprite drawn in just a few minutes!
What IDE do you use? Currently XNA (2) only supports all versions of VS2005; VS08 will be supported by XNA 3.

You can find many XNA samples at their page: http://creators.xna.com/Education/Samples.aspx

Have fun :-)
and last question
if i send to my friend an exe file which i have programmed through XNA
will he be able to execute that without XNA component?

thank you very much for your help. :)
Also check out Sdl.net. I prefer it to XNA.
Your friend will have to install the XNA runtime.
This is the only big downside imho. But it's well worth it~ He also has to do it only once.

I don't know how much Mono.XNA has progressed,
but if you want to create a platform independent game you'll have to choose something like SDL or OpenGL.

I don't like OpenGL much because it isn't .netish - aka object oriented.

tick

[Edited by - TickTwo on April 23, 2008 3:30:28 AM]
Quote:Original post by Daerax
Also check out Sdl.net. I prefer it to XNA.
This.

XNA is nice, but it's staggeringly stupid in a lot of ways (sound says hi, font rendering says hi) because it's essentially locked to the XBox 360 in too many ways.

SDL.NET is Mono-compatible (your code will work on Linux, OS X, or Windows, so long as you swap out the SDL.NET library assemblies when you switch platforms), very clean, and very easy to learn.
http://edropple.com
I recently started a 2D game project with some other people, where I am the lead coder. It uses C# and SlimDX. SlimDX is a framework for DirectX 9 and 10 in .NET, and it's being developed by some guys here on GameDev (Promit, JPetrie, others I think). I like it very much so far, even though it's my first game attempt in C# I'm already progressing much faster than I ever did in C++ and OpenGL (which I used in the past).

I like SlimDX more than XNA, because XNA poses certain limitations due to it being developed for X-Box mostly (afaik), and some of the design choices in SlimDX are really clever, making stuff simpler for you.

The SlimDX framework also comes with a number of samples, that show you most stuff you need for a simple 2D game. Unfortunately, besides the samples, there does not seem to be much documentation yet. The upside is, since the developers are actually here @ GD.net, you are as close to the source as you can get.

In the end, for a 2D game XNA will probably also suit your needs, and I don't have enough experience with it to give a good comparison between the two (the SlimDX wiki actually has a section where the two are compared), but since it hadn't been mentioned yet I wanted to present you with this alternative option.

For the stuff that isn't documented, I usually just google for a C++/DirectX tutorial on it, most stuff can easily be 'translated' to C#/SlimDX.

Good luck with your project, and welcome here on GameDev!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement