Video Games helping with Mental Illnesses...

Started by
14 comments, last by MarcelaRoberts 16 years ago
Quote:Original post by bdoskocil
As a person who frequently experiences obsessive thought patterns, I can say unequivocally that the "Tetris effect" is to be avoided. Repetitive thoughts generally have an anxiety-producing effect, often resulting in repetitive behaviors meant to assuage that anxiety.

To be honest, Marcela, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Your casual use of the term "virtual reality" makes me think you may not know either. To be frank, your arguments are somewhat disorganized and narcissistic. I would suggest being very precise with your words considering you're dealing with very complex topics.

I'm sorry you've had issues with medication (so have I), but gaming is not a panacea that can cure my halitosis. Gaming may be effective for some to the extent that more traditional forms of therapy are. Don't many of us already play games to help us relax? Don't many of us become preoccupied with our games and require further therapy for that?

I'm not trying to flame, just trying to help you define your goals more clearly.

I don't claim to be an expert on anything. So I don't even see how narcissism can even come into play. The only thing that I claim is that I think video games
should be looked at as a very viable tool for mental health. The "tetris effect" that I think should be noted is that an outside "game" can find itself inside the brain. If it can do that (a.k.a. "immersion"), then I feel (very strongly) that video games can be used to get "inside the brain" in more helpful ways.

I'd love to be more "informative" and "precise" about the subject matter, but the truth is, I'm not a psychiatrist, and this is new to me. I can only be as clear as the image is clear to me. My intent is to pass along an idea... a concept, and get feedback on it. Now, mind you, I don't want feedback on "MY" idea. I want feedback on THE idea. This essentially has nothing to do with me other than I'm bring it up. If video games inadvertently have such effects on the brain as they do now, then imagine if developers created games for the specific purpose of "adjusting" the brain.

Can you please explain what you mean by: "Your casual use of the term "virtual reality" makes me think you may not know either."?

Lastly, you bring up a great point ("Don't many of us become preoccupied with our games and require further therapy for that?"). I spoke about that in the blog (you did read it, right?). Games today are made to entertain, not to heal the brain. So, steps would be taking to prevent addiction in these "mental health" games. That's where the help of the psychiatric department comes in. These games would be made specifically to provide a non-worrisome environment. The key to these games is that they're made specifically to relax the player and help. Generally, games today are made as an escape, but not specifically to relax.

So, does this help you understand what I'm "getting at"?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MarcelaRoberts
It seems that developers cannot make a game alone that will achieve a solution because they don't have enough knowledge about the workings of the human psyche.

You posted this while I was typing my previous reply, but this is absolutely true.

In fact, even doctors don't have a clear idea of how therapeutic medications affect the brain. They can only make conclusions based on observation (ie, how do you feel when you take them compared to when you don't). To make things more confusing, each medication affects each individual differently.

The fact that psychiatrists can't objectively measure the effect of these medications on the brain makes it very difficult or impossible for game designers to replicate their effects.

Hmm, I wouldn't say it would be impossible. If video games can teach people how to do things, why wouldn't they be able to teach someone a better way of thinking? Is this a difficult task? Definitely, yes. But impossible, definitely not. Psychiatrists can't objectively measure how effective the drugs are because the entire situation is very subjective. It's ALL based on how someone feels. Ultimately, if this can help those that can't seem to find help with the "solutions" currently provided, I say that's a win-win situation.
To be honest, Marcela, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Your casual use of the term "virtual reality" makes me think you may not know either.

Can you please explain what you mean by: "Your casual use of the term "virtual reality" makes me think you may not know either."?

Your blog post, which I read several times, says: "Virtual reality has always had a hold on our minds, but so far, it's mainly been used for either education or entertainment."

In the context of this discussion, I have no idea what you mean by "virtual reality," and you don't attempt to define it. Nor do I know what you mean by "has always had a hold on our minds." And since I have no idea what you're talking about, I can't agree or disagree that it's "mainly been used for either education or entertainment."

Clarifying these issues could only strengthen your argument.
To be honest, Marcela, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Your casual use of the term "virtual reality" makes me think you may not know either.

Your blog post, which I read several times, says: "Virtual reality has always had a hold on our minds, but so far, it's mainly been used for either education or entertainment."

In the context of this discussion, I have no idea what you mean by "virtual reality," and you don't attempt to define it. Nor do I know what you mean by "has always had a hold on our minds." And since I have no idea what you're talking about, I can't agree or disagree that it's "mainly been used for either education or entertainment."

Clarifying these issues could only strengthen your argument.

Sorry, let me clarify. When I use the term "virtual reality", I use it as interchangeable with "video games". So, what that sentence is trying to express is that video games posses the power to get into our psyche and sometimes even stay there past the actual playing of the game. So far, though, the main uses for this has been in entertainment and slightly in education for the youngsters. Does that make more sense?
I think this is a very interesting area of emerging research, Marcela. I see that squad based games are being used in treating PTSD.

You might be interested to know that there is a Plant Tycoon game which comes with a subscription to Gamehouse. In the game, you water the plants, provide nutrients and even mix pollen to make new plants. It can be very calming if you're into that sort of thing.

I'd like to know how effective something like this would be. I think that's the real test-- developing a theory and then developing the game, and then collecting enough data to determine if it is more effective than some other treatment.

It might be that games become used as an adjunct to other therapies, and that we see an entire cottage industry of therapy specific games.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I think this is a very interesting area of emerging research, Marcela. I see that squad based games are being used in treating PTSD.

You might be interested to know that there is a Plant Tycoon game which comes with a subscription to Gamehouse. In the game, you water the plants, provide nutrients and even mix pollen to make new plants. It can be very calming if you're into that sort of thing.

I'd like to know how effective something like this would be. I think that's the real test-- developing a theory and then developing the game, and then collecting enough data to determine if it is more effective than some other treatment.

It might be that games become used as an adjunct to other therapies, and that we see an entire cottage industry of therapy specific games.

Thank you so for that link! My husband has PTSD so it was intriguing to read. That's been the most beneficial part about everyone's feedback! I love learning about these new technologies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement