Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

[.net] Diffrerence between Silverlight and Flash?

I've read up on some Silverlight the last couple of days. I can't help the feeling that Silverlight is Flash + XML. Silverlight, from what I've read, is a subset of WPF and uses XAML for a lot of its programming. But it seems to have the same purpose as Flash. Well from I've seen it used for. Some help/guidance/point in the right direction on Silverlight and its true purpose is greatly appreciated.

The major differentiators I've noticed revolve around .NET. Silverlight 2.0 lets you code in any .NET language with the full CLR 2.0 and a subset of the .NET 3.5 libraries. There's also a downloadable package that adds support for Silverlight projects to Visual Studio. I used it recently to write C# for a Silverlight project and then debugged it running in IE, all from within Visual Studio.

Being a subset of WPF is nice since I can learn one API and use it for both client apps and Silverlight.

Also note that Silverlight assemblies are .NET assemblies that simply reference Silverlight-specific .NET assemblies, so you can build them, code them, disassemble them like any other .NET assembly.

I don't know much about Silverlight as I've only skimmed the basics of what it's for, but the impression I've got is that it's more like Flex than Flash. It appears to be aimed much more towards programmers (like Flex), whereas designers and artists are more comfortable with the Flash IDE.

However I admit I'm a bit confsued myself, as I only know the little about Silverlight I've read in forums like this and on techie blogs, and I've only scratched the surface in Flash and ActionScript development.