One Game Two Genres - Design Discussion

Started by
13 comments, last by Humble Hobo 15 years, 12 months ago
Well, thanks a lot for all the feedback guys.
I appreciate that so many of you took the time to comment.

I think the corrolation of Guitar Hero players to RPG players is an odd one, as most of my friends who love GH also love a good long RPG. But if the people you know feel different, thats valuable information for me; i wonder if there are enough people who are fans of both genres to make something like this a success?
Mr. AR Green, soon to be Game Designer extraordinaire!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by AGreen
I think the corrolation of Guitar Hero players to RPG players is an odd one, as most of my friends who love GH also love a good long RPG. But if the people you know feel different, thats valuable information for me; i wonder if there are enough people who are fans of both genres to make something like this a success?

If you layer on the Brutal Ledgends/Metapocolypse Heavy-Metal fantasy vibe I think you'll definitely draw them in. Just try not to get too serious about the story, or bog the player down with stats and numbers, and you should be able to pull it off.

I think a semi-realistic 'band manager' style RPG would suck, though. :(
There was a ogre3d game that was part guitar hero, part rpg. Looked pretty good

>Ragnarawk
I dream hard of helping people.
I know this has been quiet for a while now, but I just wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a game like this, that has two genres that aren't blended together, but kept as separate experiences. I'd like to see what's out there, read up on them, see what they did well, and what sucked. Actraiser was like this, but I can't think of any others.
And that Ragnarawk game looked very interesting, I'd like to try it out sometime.
Anyway here's another concept on the same basic idea, but different everything, check 'er out, let me know what you think.

War of the Ancients(Working title)

Genre: RPG/RTS
Console: Xbox360, PS3
Rating: T for Teen

Concept
War of the Ancients is a game with two different, but similar game play experiences and a storyline told from two different perspectives. The game includes RPG segments and RTS segments, which play differently but use all the same stats, skills, items, equipment; even the interface is nearly the same. WotA is broken up into chapters, when the requirements for the current chapter are met, it comes to a close and the next chapter is started. Each time the player advances a chapter, the character they are controlling and the game type changes, alternating through the chapters. Each chapter is 25-35 minutes of core game play each.

Overview
The Emissary is a young girl on a journey of self and spiritual discovery, learning to have faith in the most important thing; herself. The Monarch is a young orphan king, and commander of a powerful army. Spurred on by his thirst for vengeance, he is driven to crush the opposing nation, whatever it takes. Each action encouraged by his shady Chancellor. Both characters’ lives are greatly affected by one known as The Apostle, a powerful musician on his own journey of self discovery.
When the player is in control of The Emissary and a small band of adventurers the game plays very much as a classic RPG; dungeons to explore, villagers and townsfolk to talk to, and battles to be fought. In this game mode the player can equip the small party with weapons and armor of their choice and lead them through the dungeons, forests, swamps and on a grand adventure across the known world.
When the player is in control of the young Monarch, King of one of the most powerful nations in the world, the game plays as an RTS designed specifically for the console controller. Sergeants and Generals lead squads of troops into battle and utilize powerful techniques and machines to crush their foes. In this game mode the player can select squad leaders and troop types as well as equip squad leaders with powerful equipment before charging into battle.
The Apostle is a pivotal character, but he is never at the forefront, the story is told from the perspectives of the other two, and explains how the Apostle affects their lives, and how they effect his.
As the game progresses, these two characters and game types will begin to affect each other more and more and become intertwined into one cataclysmic climax.

Key Elements:
• Two different game play experiences
• A deep and involving story told from two perspectives.
• Fun and exciting RPG battles that utilize a combo/build-up system.
• RTS Game-play specially designed for the console controller.
Mr. AR Green, soon to be Game Designer extraordinaire!
Oh, you're too late!

The ever popular blizzard already created the perfect hybrid in WoW on April 1, 2008.

linky: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/bard/bardclass.xml

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement