• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help undertsanding Sweep Test Math.

This topic is 3563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im reading Kasper Fauerby's article on ellipsoid collision detection. I understand most of it, however the only part that gets me is the math behind the vertex and edge sweep test. What i dont get is how he turns ( C(T) - P ) * ( C(T) - P ) Where C(T) = basePoint + (Velocity * T) into the form At^2 + Bt + C Where A = Velocity * Velocity B = 2 * Velocity * (basePoint - Vertex) C = || basePoint - Vertex ||^2 -1 I get how quadratic equations can be solved, and how they can have two answers and such. I get what a root is, im finishing college algerbra this semester with a "B", so i do have some math knowledge under my belt. Besides the edge test which is next, i get the whole article. But for now i just want to focus on the sweep test against a vertex, which is the simpler of the two. Of course i could just copy and paste someone elses pre-made code into my project, however for learning purposes i want to know how to do it myself so in time i wont have to copy and paste and i can just refer to most of it off the top of my head.

Advertisement
I'll try :

for vertex collisions, a point P is on sphere [C, r] if (P - C)^2 = r^2

the point P is also on the ray [O, D], so it satisfies the parametric equation P(t) = O + D * t, where t is the unknown

So in the first equation you replace P by P(t) and you get

((O - C) + D * t)^2 - r^2 = 0 (eq 1)

(eq 1) is in the form (A + B * t)^2 - C = 0, so expanding you get...
[(B.B)]*t^2 + [2*(B.A)]*t + [(A.A)-C] = 0

so, when you develop (eq 1), you get...

[(D)^2] * t^2 + [2 * (O - C) . (D)] * t + [(O - C)^2 - r^2] = 0

that's where the form [a]*t^2 + *t + [c] = 0, comes from, where...

a = [D^2] = [D . D]
b = [2 * (O - C) . (D)]
c = [(O - C)^2 - r^2] = [(O - C) . (O - C) - r^2]

for edge collision (which is equivalent to a cylinder - ray intersection test), it's almost identical, the equation to satisfy is :

((P - C) x H)^2 = r^2 * (H.H)

where H is the direction of the cylinder (not normalised), r the radius, C a point on the cylinder centre. Using a segment [A, B], you would get...

((P - A) x (B - A))^2 = r^2 * ((B - A).(B - A))

the equation solves the same way. replace P by O + D * t, and you will get...

let AOxAB = (O - A) x (B - A)
let DxAB = D x (B - A)
let AB2 = (B - A) . (B - A)

a = (DxAB . DxAB)
b = 2 * (DxAB . AOxAB)
c = (AOxAB . AOxAB) - r*r * ((B - A) . (B - A))

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement