while( current_char < text.length() ) {
        SDL_BlitSurface( bitmap, &chars[text[current_char]], surface, &rect );
        rect.x += chars[text[current_char]].w;
        current_char++;
    }

return surface;
}

Compiling: font.cpp
E:\Programming\Base-Devel-Physics\font.cpp: In member function `SDL_Surface* Font::renderText(std::string) const':
E:\Programming\Base-Devel-Physics\font.cpp:93: error: invalid conversion from `const SDL_Rect*' to `SDL_Rect*'
E:\Programming\Base-Devel-Physics\font.cpp:93: error:   initializing argument 2 of `int SDL_UpperBlit(SDL_Surface*, SDL_Rect*, SDL_Surface*, SDL_Rect*)'
.. Ugh I need Font::renderText() to be const, because I'm passing constant references of Font objects in certain functions that use this function. Theoretically, a renderText() function that renders to a extranous surface and returns that should be totaly okay with being const. I don't quite understand what I'm doing wrong.
Advertisement
Well, your function is (I assume, given the differing function names) attempting to modify chars[text[current_char]], which is (I assume, again, given the lack of context) a constant member variable.

Of course, I also suspect that the argument to SDL_BlitSurface is not const mostly because the SDL C++ interface sucks, and it would indeed be a const had they thought for a second about it. Therefore, it should be safe to:
SDL_BlitSurface( bitmap,                  const_cast<SDL_Rect*>(&chars[text[current_char]]),                  surface,                  &rect );

Ah, that was exactly what fixed my problem. Sorry for not posting more information about my Font class, I'll try and post as much information as possible from now on.
Declaring the offending member variable mutable should also do the trick.
The destination rectangle is modified by SDL to reflect the final, clipped image. Therefore const_cast is a bad idea. Simply make a copy:
SDL_Rect copy = chars[text[current_char]];SDL_BlitSurface( bitmap, &copy, surface, &rect );
Quote:Original post by rip-off
The destination rectangle is modified by SDL to reflect the final, clipped image. Therefore const_cast is a bad idea. Simply make a copy:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Yes, the destination rectangle is modified, but the source rectangle, which was the const offending variable, is not modified, so a const_cast is just fine.
Sorry, my bad. I must have misread the post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement