Sign in to follow this  
bhawk14

C++ vs. C# and XNA

bhawk14    100
Um I would like which one would be better for me to start out with. So my only thing is I do not want it to be hard to learn but has some advance features that could help make beginners level game to advance. I was looking at books and I saw that C++ has more books.

MJP    19787
I did mostly programming with C++ and native D3D for several years, and I've recently started working with C# and XNA. IMO the environment is much much much much more suited to beginners than working with C++ and D3D or any other 3D API. In general C# is just presents a much cleaner language up-front with more clearly-defined behavior, while XNA provides a nice framework that provides a lot of functionality that you would end up having to implement yourself. There's also a pretty nice community forming around XNA, which is a great thing to be a part of.

EdR    117
Quote:
Original post by sjheiss
C# sucks. Period. Go with C++ and SDL/OpenGL or an engine.
Spoken like somebody who has never extensively used it.

XNA has problems. That said, C# is a brilliantly easy language to pick up and use in a game development context (I put together an isometric engine for a project of mine in something like four hours) if you use libraries meant for the task--Managed DirectX isn't bad, and SlimDX is pretty good, but I personally use SDL.NET for most tasks, as the program is seamlessly crossplatform (just have to change out the SDL.NET libraries for ones that invole the platform-specific SDL libraries).

smitty1276    560
Quote:
Original post by sjheiss
C# sucks. Period. Go with C++ and SDL/OpenGL or an engine.
What a horribly misguided bit of advice!

C# is a phenominal language. I would go with C# to learn, and then later you can jump into C++ if you actually have a need.

DarkZoulz    106
Quote:
Original post by MJP
I did mostly programming with C++ and native D3D for several years, and I've recently started working with C# and XNA. IMO the environment is much much much much more suited to beginners than working with C++ and D3D or any other 3D API. In general C# is just presents a much cleaner language up-front with more clearly-defined behavior, while XNA provides a nice framework that provides a lot of functionality that you would end up having to implement yourself. There's also a pretty nice community forming around XNA, which is a great thing to be a part of.

I fully agree. C# is an excellent language, and the XNA framework makes it very easy to get started with graphics programming right off the bat.

Daaark    3553
Quote:
Original post by DarkZoulz
I fully agree. C# is an excellent language, and the XNA framework makes it very easy to get started with graphics programming right off the bat.
XNa reminded me of Allegro, which is what I used when I first started using C. So I was amused to find out that Shawn Hargreaves is on the XNA team.