Sign in to follow this  
ericgrave

help

ericgrave    130
OKAY LOL hopefully this will be the last forum i sign up too and hopefully it will be better then all the overs! well i am just wondering if anyone could help me out i am a beginner in c++ am currently using devc++ just wondering is there any game engines or graphics engine out there i could use with dev c++? i might not be makeing any sense lol its because i have no idea how to build games and i have no idea about graphics engines etc.. i have a book on game programming through which is just for pygame which i would prefer to not use...so please can anyone help me lol..

Driv3MeFar    1080
Quote:
Original post by ericgrave
the compilers are not owned by microsoft or nething are they?

Hands down the best free C++ IDE out there is, in fact, a Microsoft product. Unlike Dec-C++, it has an up to date compiler, incredibly useful debugger, and makes C++ development an all around much better experience. It is the Visual Studio Express Edition.

ericgrave    130
cheers :D i dont wanna use microsoft because i want free compilers where i coudl create games programs for linux and apple if that makes any sense at all lol

blackcloak    189
I understand that. Both code::blocks and eclipse will do what you need. Also check out XCode when developing on the Mac. I personly like code::blocks a little better than eclipse and it is whole lot better than dev c++.

oler1s    585
Part of being a programmer is trying to figure things out on your own. Use your own intelligence, or look for information online first. Since this isn't a chat room, don't run back here repeatedly without a serious question you couldn't solve on your own.

Crazyfool    307
Also, dont expect to be making pretty graphical stuff for awhile. C++ is a meaty language and game development is very difficult, so learn the basics and even some more intermediate stuff before expecting games to be made.

Basse85    308
Quote:
i have no idea how to build games and i have no idea about graphics engines etc..

Why not Start_Here =)
This site is full of excellent articles.
Good luck

EdR    117
Quote:
cheers :D i dont wanna use microsoft because i want free compilers where i coudl create games programs for linux and apple if that makes any sense at all lol
There is no reason you can't write crossplatform code in C++ using the Visual C++ Express toolchain. It adheres to the standard about as well as gcc, and the IDE is incredibly slick. Its intellisense is also very, very good.

Just use native code and a cross-platform rendering/media layer, like SDL, instead of DirectX.

synth_cat    306
Quote:

Visual C++ 2005 Express is completely free and you can even make commercial apps with it with no restrictions. So that is not a problem. As for making apps that will work on Apple or Linux, this will not so much depend on the compiler you use as the code you write. For example, if you wanted an easily portable graphical application you could code using the SDL library.