How does game music work?

Started by
7 comments, last by Trevuar25 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi, my first post :-) Lovely forum. Howz it to everyone ofcourse. I dropped by to ask how game music works. Thing is, I never really gave it much thought till I just became interested in it the other day. I'd love to be doing soundscapes for games actually. Heres the thing, I've been a musician all my life. I've played in bands, spun a lot of underground raves. My sound designs are pretty known, etc... so... what you say to somebody who would like to take a shot at game sound. design, composition, etc. what are the best places to look for portfolio projects and all that jazz? what other forums are about to look at? I've started a sound blog. I'm doing it with Drupal, but its brand spanking new, and I feel a little shy to link it. I definitely appreciate the advice. Thanks, + Cheers, sw [Edited by - soundwolf on April 21, 2008 8:03:41 PM]
Advertisement
Do you mean how the music is played in-game, or how the music is used to improve in-game experience?
Quote:Original post by dylanwinn
Do you mean how the music is played in-game, or how the music is used to improve in-game experience?
I think he means how does the game music business work.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

right on swiftcoder,

i'd love to be creating music for games. i'm a wicked forward thinking sound designer.

edit...

meh!! maybe i talk too much

lol

[Edited by - soundwolf on April 21, 2008 9:39:00 PM]
Look for projects that are nearing completion or completed that need game music. Make sure they attribute anything you do for them. If your stuff is good you will get credibility, at the very least you will build up a portfolio to show potential clients.

That's how I would do it.
Thanks Umbrae,

I guess it does make a lot of sense to find the projects that are close to completion. Is this the forum to post in to do that?

Do you have any cool places to suggest?

I've started a neat a little website on the subject of sound design, I might have mentioned it earlier in the thread.

It is very blog style, but its not a blog really... my site doesn't have any advertisements, so its not the traditional blog sense...

or at least, what I have come to believe is blog... it has sound examples like this one...

http://soundwolf.net/sites/default/files/bending%20saw_sq_pulse.mp3

but it is brand spanking new. probably not worth checking out till I finish off some more articles and what nots.

Like, I am totally convinced I have to find a way about doing games and virtual reality soundscapes and what nots...

and it just, doesn't seem much like calling up a promoter and saying, " hey, we'd love to spin your rave " which is kinda what I have been doing with my music life for a long time...

but i guess it does entail calling up software dev's and saying, " hey, we'd love to do your soundtrack "

but, yeah, I guess, where do you find all the game projects that are near completion?

yikes!! I do talk way too much. well, thanks again everybody for the help so far.

and if you'll do manage to find me on the web, keep in mind there might be a lead in time before the sound starts. this is a quality control mechanism.

cheers

[Edited by - soundwolf on April 21, 2008 10:26:03 PM]
There is a Help Wanted Forum here where teams / people post looking for people to help, you might find something there.
thanks again Umbrea, that looks wicked...

I tried to fix my broken link. I didn't realize this forum allows html in posts. but, a fix doesn't seem to want to work for me. maybe I am just wicked tired tonight. I can't find my glasses either. so I am like reading the computer blind...

lol. thanks for the link again bro

cheers

( edit ) found glasses :-) fixed link
another good Idea would be to write some music for free, for some new/younger indie developers at http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?act=idx there is always someone there in need of music.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement