• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
josh123

Beginning AI With XNA

This topic is 3714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just starting to build my first real game with XNA. It will be a 2d stealth game where you have to avoid enemy guards. My question is, how can I make it so the guards only "see" the direction that they are facing on the screen? I imagine there is a grid or something I can reference for the entire screen, but I haven't been able to find out how to use it yet. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Advertisement
Have you ever played Commandos ?
In Commandos, the guards have a "triangle of view" (2D Projection of a Cone on the ground). Detecting an enemy is then a simple is-centroid-of-the-player-model-into-the-triangle question.

You can also use the dotproduct as an easy and computationally cheap way to determine this. I typically use something along these lines for a rough visibility test:

[source lang=csharp]
Vector2 guardPos = new Vector2(0, 0); // or whatever is applicable
Vector2 guardFacing = new Vector2(1, 0); // looking 'right', along the positive x axis

Vector2 targetPos = new Vector2(-1, 0); // 'behind' the guard
Vector2 guardToTarget = targetPos - guardPos; // vector from our guard to our target

guardFacing.Normalize(); // precompute and store this for optimization
guardToTarget.Normalize();
float dotProduct = Vector2.Dot(guardFacing, guardToTarget);

if (dotProduct > 0)
{
// in front of our guard, so visible
}
else
{
// behind our guard
}

In general, the dotproduct from these normalized vectors can be used as:

-1 = directly behind the guard
0 = left or right from the guard
1 = directly in front of the guard

As the target moves towards where the guardFacing vector is pointing (so it's moving to a point directly in front of the guard), the dotproduct will move to 1. This makes it possible to narrow the field of view, by for example checking if the dotpoduct > 0.25f.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!