Sign in to follow this  
Menace2Society

QA Beta Testing

I really don't know which forum to put this in so I figured I'd come here like I always do. I was recently accepted as an open(I think) beta game tester, the only problem is I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. The only articles I've come across all have to do with how to get a job as a Tester or the merits of being one as a way to get your foot in the door. If I seem overly serious about being an open tester, I'm not. I just want to know how I can do my job properly.

If you're going to be an "open beta" tester, that's a very different thing from QA. They should tell you what they want from you.
An open beta isn't necessarily about finding bugs, for one thing - they probably are mainly looking for issues related to the game balance. What does the playing public expect in the game, and does the game deliver on those expectations, for instance.
But as I said, they'll tell you what they want you to do.

Open beta is often used as a stress test. Warm bodies may count more there than what they do.

The hard work is usually part of closed alpha test, which also requires signing of an NDA. Such alpha tests usually have you agree to certain terms which specify what your duties are.

Well I was actually given an NDA so I guess it's not an open beta afterall (it never said so on the site, I don't know why I assumed that)

So then if my job is to look for bugs, is there any technique for going about doing that other than just play the game ad nauseum? And what about game balance and features, should I worry about those at all? Thanks.

I have never done testing professionally, but when I check my games/apps for bugs, I try to do anything and everything to break the game, including hitting random buttons in different game play situations, trying to go where you aren't supposed to go, mess with different graphics/sfx/etc settings, and even just play the game normally to see if something happens that shouldn't.