3d Beginning

Started by
5 comments, last by WildPie 15 years, 11 months ago
Hey! I am going to try and make some 3d models but all the experience I have is with Desktop Pro. Sadly I only have a little version, so I can't do much with it and I won't be able to animate with it. So what I need help is choosing a program that is right for me. I want to start out with a 3D modeling program that is easy for beginners and supports animation (nothing super fancy). Any help I can get would rock!!! Some online tutorials would also be nice.
Advertisement
What is your budget? Blender is quite powerful, but more importantly free.
You can, similarly, get the academic version of Maya for free. This gives you experience with an industry-used program. Of course, you can't use it commercially without paying and it will watermark any renders. Obviously the program is more complex, but with a little investigation you'll find you can do all the basics without too much hassle.
I'm with Antheus: Blender is the way to go. Free, powerful tool whose one crippling feature in my opinion (lack of n-gon support) actually forces you to model better: always thinking in tris and quads.

Its interface is just kind of...hotkey-centric. There are plenty of cheat-sheets around for those though.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Thanks! I'll try Blender again. Only problem I have with it is I cannot find a good tutorial for it. I have tried Blender but the tutorials I found were of no help and really didn't explain how all the buttons and hotkeys worked together.
This helped me get started. Have fun!
L.I.G. == Life Is Good
Alright I'll give it a try! Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement