3D model formats

Started by
4 comments, last by BionicBytes 15 years, 12 months ago
I don't know anything about creating models or using modelling software. So far all my programs have used .X models that I have downloaded. Anyway, I have found a really cool model I want to use, but it is in an .igs file. Can I use this directly in my program? If so, can someone point me to sample code showing how to use it? Or can it be converted to .X in some way? How hard is this, and what program will I need? Thank you! Noel
Advertisement
.igs is the file format for Autodesk's CADoverlay program apparently (i just yahoo'd it), i couldn't find any way to convert it to a .X, but apprently there's a program called Rhino that will convert it to a .stl, and a program called IVCON that will change that to a .3ds file which is for 3Dstudio max, then you could use the panda exporter to export it as an X file, that being said, that is a REALLY piss poor way of doing it, so short answer, not that i could find :D
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Quote:Original post by umop_apisdn
I don't know anything about creating models or using modelling software. So far all my programs have used .X models that I have downloaded.

Anyway, I have found a really cool model I want to use, but it is in an .igs file. Can I use this directly in my program? If so, can someone point me to sample code showing how to use it?

Or can it be converted to .X in some way? How hard is this, and what program will I need?

Thank you!
Noel

Why not just pick up a cheap coy of Fragmotion? It saves directly to .x. Then you can make your own, instead of hunting down models.
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
there's a program called Rhino that will convert it to a .stl, and a program called IVCON that will change that to a .3ds file which is for 3Dstudio max, then you could use the panda exporter to export it as an X file, :D

Would this retain the texture data?

Thanks.
honestly i have no idea, i just searched for a couple minutes and found some links, but there weren't a whole lot of details
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
arghhhh! the whole model format thing... what a pain.

Every newbie goes through this.
My suggestion is to pick a format and write your own model conversion utility tool. I use Blender (free and its very powerful) for my modelling needs - this has plug-ins for exporting to other formats but really the only one that matters for my code is .obj format.
I have invested time and effort writing parsers and editors and use this as the basis for all my work. You will find that over time you will need to do additional source model modifications learning the ropes of developing a tool set is effort well spent.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement