Sign in to follow this  
murdock

C++ or C# for DirectX

murdock    164
Are people still using C++ or has everything gone to C#? I'm looking to start using DirectX and was looking for a solid tutorial and also thought of looking through the DX Documentation itself. However, which language should I focus on moving forward?

Armadon    1091
You should starting learning the DirectX APIs with the language that you feel most comfortable in using.
My reasoning behind this is extremely simple, you want to be learning the DirectX APIs and not be spending time, frustrated about struggling with the language you are learning the APIs with.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

ET3D    810
DirectX is geared towards use with C++. There's no native support for C# currently, although a 3rd party port exists. Unfortunately, not being a C# developer, I don't remember its reference, and the sticky post I remember is gone. Hopefully someone else will be able to refer you to it.

Another alternative is XNA Game Studio, which provides the ability to write C# games for Windows, Xbox 360, and soon the Zune.

Note that high end games are developed in C++, so if you want to become a game developer, C++ is the way to go. Note also that Direct3D 10 is currently only accessible through C++.