• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Passing pointer in a function parameter help

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good Day to all, Another noob question here: For this below function here, bind(m_pSocket, (sockaddr*)&Address, sizeof(sockaddr) Is ir correct to say that what I am doing is creating a pointer to my Address variable then taking the reference of it to pass on as a parameter to my function?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by 5quirrel
Good Day to all,

Another noob question here:

For this below function here,

bind(m_pSocket, (sockaddr*)&Address, sizeof(sockaddr)

Is ir correct to say that what I am doing is creating a pointer to my Address variable then taking the reference of it to pass on as a parameter to my function?

There is no such thing as "taking the reference of" a variable. You can take the address of the variable, but that is the same as "creating a pointer to it" - i.e., what you did with the '&' symbol. You can "reference" it, which is the same thing again. You can "dereference" it, which is the opposite: using the address to get back at the pointed-at thing. And you can "create a reference to" it, but usually that is done implicitly rather than explicitly.

But the '(sockaddr*)' part does none of the above. It is a type cast. It tells the compiler "pretend '&Address' points at a sockaddr". It doesn't actually; presumably it actually points at something like a sockaddr_in.

This is done to implement something that isn't directly supported in C.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement