Sign in to follow this  
BreathOfLife

STL question

BreathOfLife    188
OK, Im going to tackle this STL thingy, and i cant figure out how to make it work the way it is described. "You should unpack the STL include files in a new directory, and then use the -I (or /I) option to direct the compiler to look there first. We don't recommend overwriting the vendor's include files. " Is what it says... but um, what do i do to utilize this "-I (or /I) option"? Currently i have the files in a seperate folder in visual studio 2008s VC/include folder... also, the site that I got the headers from has a little how to, and on the topic of strings, it only has a basic_string class as far as examples go. The main reason I want to figure out the STL is for strings and being able to avoid char arrays...

daviangel    604
"The main reason I want to figure out the STL is for strings and being able to avoid char arrays..."
Uh? VS 2008 already lets you do that just by using #include <string> in your source files so I have no clue what you are trying to do?

Kylotan    10010
In other words: you do not need to download or install anything to use the 'STL'. The strings of which you speak are part of the standard library and are already part of Visual Studio 2008.

Zahlman    1682
A quick Google check indicates the OP is quoting from here.

I would like to bring the following choice quotes to the OP's attention.

From the top of the page:

Quote:

Is the STL Y2K compliant?
Yes. The STL does not store or manipulate dates in any way, so there are no year 2000 issues.

Think about that for a second. Y2K is a long-dead issue now.

And from the bottom:

Quote:
Copyright © 1993-2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All rights reserved.

Yep, a nice confirmation here.

Oh, and for the hell of it, let's look at the download page:

Quote:
The STL has also been tested on Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0, on g++ 2.8.1

Question: what version of Visual C++ is built into Visual Studio 2008?

Answer: If I've been counting/remembering properly, and if you want to use proper version numbers, 9.0. You might suspect, then, that something referencing version 5.0 of the compiler might be just a little out of date?

The C++ language was most recently standardized in 1998 (technically, right near the end of 1997, IIRC). While SGI's pages do describe most of the relevant C++ standard library functionality reasonably accurately, this is an incredibly out-of-date resource.