Sign in to follow this  
BreathOfLife

STL question

OK, Im going to tackle this STL thingy, and i cant figure out how to make it work the way it is described. "You should unpack the STL include files in a new directory, and then use the -I (or /I) option to direct the compiler to look there first. We don't recommend overwriting the vendor's include files. " Is what it says... but um, what do i do to utilize this "-I (or /I) option"? Currently i have the files in a seperate folder in visual studio 2008s VC/include folder... also, the site that I got the headers from has a little how to, and on the topic of strings, it only has a basic_string class as far as examples go. The main reason I want to figure out the STL is for strings and being able to avoid char arrays...

"The main reason I want to figure out the STL is for strings and being able to avoid char arrays..."
Uh? VS 2008 already lets you do that just by using #include <string> in your source files so I have no clue what you are trying to do?

A quick Google check indicates the OP is quoting from here.

I would like to bring the following choice quotes to the OP's attention.

From the top of the page:

Quote:

Is the STL Y2K compliant?
Yes. The STL does not store or manipulate dates in any way, so there are no year 2000 issues.

Think about that for a second. Y2K is a long-dead issue now.

And from the bottom:

Quote:
Copyright © 1993-2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All rights reserved.

Yep, a nice confirmation here.

Oh, and for the hell of it, let's look at the download page:

Quote:
The STL has also been tested on Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0, on g++ 2.8.1

Question: what version of Visual C++ is built into Visual Studio 2008?

Answer: If I've been counting/remembering properly, and if you want to use proper version numbers, 9.0. You might suspect, then, that something referencing version 5.0 of the compiler might be just a little out of date?

The C++ language was most recently standardized in 1998 (technically, right near the end of 1997, IIRC). While SGI's pages do describe most of the relevant C++ standard library functionality reasonably accurately, this is an incredibly out-of-date resource.