[.net] Need A Book Recommendation: Learning C# From Scratch

Started by
13 comments, last by Yarb 15 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by modmiddy
I planned on a single exe program. I hadn't even considered doing a web interface. That would probably be much more complicated though and possibly limited in features compared to the single exe route.

it would be pretty much the same thing in silverlight i think actually , never toyed around with it tho , in any case it comes after the knowledge in those 2 books if you want to learn it so you can decide on that later (there's already quite a lot to learn before , will keep you occupied for a few monthes)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by daviangel
Best C# book I've read and one of the few that's for someone new to programming is Head First C#
Head First C# is another very good one.
http://edropple.com
Best C# book I've read and one of the few that's for someone new to programming is Head First C#

I have to respectfully disagree, Head First C# is so full of errors that I found it to be an excercise in frustration. Even with my 2nd printing copy there are 17 pages of addendum posted on line, one of which requires you to reprint 6 pages to completely replace the pages in the book.

Worst $50 I ever spent on a book.

Yarb

I do like C# Step by Step.
Quote:Original post by Yarb

I have to respectfully disagree, Head First C# is so full of errors that I found it to be an excercise in frustration. Even with my 2nd printing copy there are 17 pages of addendum posted on line, one of which requires you to reprint 6 pages to completely replace the pages in the book.

Worst $50 I ever spent on a book.

Yarb

I do like C# Step by Step.

I'm guessing you don't read alot of computer books?
The reason I say this is that the majority I've read have about that many errors unless it's a Knuth or Petzold book which comes out once every several years and the author's willing to pay you for the mistakes you find in the book!
Here is the errata page for "Accelerated C++" one of the most recommended books on this site and I believe it was 6 pages or more when I printed out all the errors for my copy.
Most books don't even bother to post errata pages or respond to reader inquiries about errors and typo's in their books. That's one area in which O'reilly books are really good about. On the other hand after reading post like yours if I was a book author I would just keep my mouth shut when people found errors/typos n my bok and act like the book was perfect like Microsoft does with it's software-LOL!
If you want a book with no errors look no further than Petzold like I said since he must go through his books with a fine toothed comb or maybe it's his master's in math that makes him such a perfectionist? Plus his C# book is available online for free but not as readable as "head first c#" IMO. Actually I'd recommend "C# Step by Step" before Petzold since it's alot more readable.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I understand that there will always be some errata but in this case they rearranged the book and forgot to change all the problems. They have one case where the problem cannot be solved as it is presented without using techniques from later chapters. I have read a lot of books over the years, some programming, others app related and this is by far the greatest train wreck I have seen. Looking at the other Head First Series errata you will see they are far smaller and with far fewer "Critical" issues.

I also want to point out that the 17 page errata I mentioned was JUST for the 2nd edition printing I had. Take a look 1/08 printing errata

C# step by step now has a corrected 4th edition available, just look for (4/08) in the bottom right corner of the copyright page.

On a positive note Barnes and Noble happily took my copy, loaded with hand written errata notes, back once they saw the size and seriousness of the errata file.

Yarb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement