Publishing directX projects

Started by
0 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 12 months ago
My project links to various DirectX files and so after compiling and transfering the app to a new computer without the directX sdk will it still work? Do i have to do something to make the app look for directX resources somewhere else instead of the SDK directory? I dont have a pc at home without the SDK on and i want to test this before copying my app to CD and taking it elsewhere. Also on a similar note how do you compile a project so that all the textures/.x files/sounds etc are put into the executable as opposed to hanging around in folders where people could modify/pinch them? Regards galapogos P.S. I am using vc++ (2008 express edition) and a win COM enviroment.
'I is what I is. Eggegegegegeg' - The wisdom of Popeye
Advertisement
You have to make sure the host PC has the version of the DX runtime that you used. You can either have the user install it by getting the Web Installer off Microsoft's website, or you can use DXSETUP. DXSETUP is included with the SDK if you checked the option to install the redistributable in the SDK setup, and you can have your app's installer launch DXSETUP to install the runtime.

As for your game content, I don't particularly recommend shoving all of it into your executable. Besides, it's not like people can't easily pull resources out of your EXE. If you really don't want people messing with your assets you can use your own file formats, or store everything in a compressed file.

EDIT: You also need to make sure that the host PC has the c runtime-library dll installed, if you used the DLL version. This can be installed by using Microsoft's redist installer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement