Sign in to follow this  
Geometrian

[web] Subdomains

Geometrian    1810
Hello, -I have a website (geometrian.com). -Currently, it is comprised of a math section and a programming section. -I would like to separate these into subdomains, like geometry.geometrian.com and programs.geometrian.com. -I'm using FileZilla. -Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks, G

Oluseyi    2112
Do you run your own server? If you do, then you simply configure those domains locally.

For IIS:
  1. Open up the IIS Manager

2. Right-click on the "Web Sites" folder, and select "New site..." or whatever.

3. Type in the full subdomain and domain combination, acquire the docroot for the subdomain, etc.

For Apache:
  1. You will need to configure the subdomains in your httpd.conf file. My recommendation is not to do so directly, but to create a subdirectory under /etc/apache2 called subdomains or vhosts and then specify them in a httpd.conf file in there. You can include that file into your main httpd.conf.

2. Creating a subdomain is simply a matter of specifying a new virtual host using the <VirtualHost> directive.

If you don't run your own server and use hosted services, then you'll need to use the control panel provided to you by your host. In a worst-case scenario, you'll need to request your host to set it up for you.

Geometrian    1810
I don't think I run my own server.
Quote:
:In a worst-case scenario, you'll need to request your host to set it up for you.
I think that is what I'll have to do.
Thanks

jbadams    25713
Quote:
Original post by Karan Bhangui
I'm surprised Oluseyi didn't mention you can usually add them from your Control Panel (I'm assuming you're on shared hosting). Look under domains for most CP's.
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
If you don't run your own server and use hosted services, then you'll need to use the control panel provided to you by your host. In a worst-case scenario, you'll need to request your host to set it up for you.

Quote:
Original post by jbadams
Quote:
Original post by Karan Bhangui
I'm surprised Oluseyi didn't mention you can usually add them from your Control Panel (I'm assuming you're on shared hosting). Look under domains for most CP's.
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi

Wtf :| I swear that wasn't there when i posted :S