Gear?

Started by
27 comments, last by Arglebargle 15 years, 11 months ago
I agree with you on that one Nathan. I have been working on a few movies the last months. as well and Sonar just gave me a plain headache.
Beside the things you mention there is also a problem with importing .mov files if they have a certain kind of codex. It refuses to play. If that file is converted to .avi it crashes non stop.

I am thinking seriously to go with Nuendo soon due to this lack of functionality with video since it doesn't look that cakewalk is going to improve the features in the near future for this.

Composer and Sound Designer

http://www.jaapvisser.com

Advertisement
Yeah, I agree.

Earlier this year I scored a 5 minute martial arts short in Sonar, it was a pain.

Especially since my version of Sonar (Studio 5) didn't even have a video track. Supposedly, Producer 7 does? I'm pretty sure it does.

That would make mickey mousing a lot easier to pull off, if you can see all the frames linearly laid out, like in a video editor.

I think what I ended up doing was setting up a separate "mickey mousing track" and went through making a mark when the mickey mouse hit was on the beat and adjusting tempo when it wasn't so that it would be.

I don't know if I could do a feature like that, but hopefully, there wouldn't be that much mickey mousing in a feature.

It's martial arts, crazy sword-fighting and kung-fu stuff, you have to do a little mickey mousing ;)

Anyway:

My shitck on Project SAM.

Their full on sample libraries are brilliantly recorded, but they have archaic programming. I would say, some of the crappiest programming around for the price. Having purchased their Brass, I would almost say they're worth it. Although, I am sort of wanting to (since their samples are unprotected) script my own SAM instrument files in Kontakt, since they do have legato samples included, just no legato scripting.

As far as their FX. Their FX are bad ass, but it won't be long before you hear them everywhere. As far as their orchestrator tools? I am annoyed at them, I don't want to ALWAYS write woodwinds in tutti. They sound good, but it's all ensemble.

Like everyone else, I want them to return to their roots and create actual woodwind and string libraries.

And like everyone else, I wish they'd update their programming.

Their True Strike libraries, on the other hand, sound brilliant. I would definitely want TS2.

- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com
Dannthr- Just a side note did you know I live in Westminster and work for NetDevil in Lousiville? We probably only live about 15-20 minutes apart if you're in Boulder. You actually wrote me at my ND email a while back looking for work. I'm interested but don't have any overflow yet. I'll keep you in mind. I mainly wanted to make sure you knew we were both local.

Also, to all that responded on Sonar: AMEN! Great points all around and I wish Cakewalk would hurry and listen to some of it's supporters (or soon to be non-supporters)!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Oh yes, I remember now.

I was just off the heels of helping out Richard on Highlander.

Hopefully this summer I'll be able to actively pursue work again.

Sean Beeson mentioned you guys were pals, do you have AIM? I host an infrequent audio chat from time to time with Sean and some GANGers and GAFers.
www.musicianeer.com
Yeah Sean is a great guy and very talented composer! I do have AIM, my screen name is nsmadsen.

Take care,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Quote:Original post by Dannthr
Hey Piotr,

How is the VSL Upright Bass? Is that the downloadable one? Is that in the Vienna Instrument format or is it in another standard sample format?

Nathan, which EW sample sets are on your priority wish list?

Sorry, I missed your question.

Yes, this is the downloadable one, and it's absolutely fantastic! Unfortunately it only runs with Vienna Instrument, and the keyswitching is somewhat complicated. I never had a single problem with VI so far, though.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

- Piotr
_________________________www.piotrmusial.comoriginal music for media
Oh well,

Have you tried Scarbee's Black Bass? Brilliant programming--it's electric bass though...

I think the upright bass I'm likely to get next is going to be the Bardstown THE BASS, which just has the sexiest bmmm bmmm sound.
www.musicianeer.com
THE BASS sounds cool, but I'm not that much into jazz, VI Upright Bass seems to be more universal in this matter, I used it in pop-ish arrangements, as well as very subtle film music as a melodic bass (THE BASS would do great here). Jazzy too, but still, I'm not that much into jazz.

- Piotr
_________________________www.piotrmusial.comoriginal music for media
I've actually gotten to the point where I can't think of any more "necessary" software I need, which is actually a bit depressing cuz I've spent so much. What I'd like to get in the future are some decent monitors, and a new guitar. And... jeez, that might be it. Maaaaybe Atmosphere, maybe.

Computer:
AMD 4600+ dual-core, 2 gigs RAM
EMU 0404 soundcard

DAW:
Sonar 6 Producer edition

Plugins:
A bunch of EastWest stuff (QLSO Gold, Symphonic Choirs, Stormdrum, RA, Vapor)
Sampletank 2
Guitar Rig 3
z3ta
many other bits and bobs

Controller:
M-Audio Oxygen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement