Sign in to follow this  
godsenddeath

comparing windows SDK's and documentation

godsenddeath    182
hey, i've been reading alot of the windows platform documentation lately, and i've got a couple questions, 1)i have both the MSDN, and platform SDK documentation, is this really nessesary? if fact i noticed that VS2008 installed a whack load of SDK's on my computer when i installed it, so do I even need the "Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2" anymore? 2)whats the difference between the Windows platform SDK(version mentioned above), and the Windows SDK v6.0a ?

MJP    19786
The Windows SDK used to be called the "Windows Platform SDK". Most people tend to still call it the Platform SDK, either out of habit or not knowing. That version you listed is an older version, from back when Windows Server 2003 was new and before Vista was released. I suggest you download and install the latest version (version 6.1), which is found here.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by MJP
The Windows SDK used to be called the "Windows Platform SDK". Most people tend to still call it the Platform SDK, either out of habit or not knowing. That version you listed is an older version, from back when Windows Server 2003 was new and before Vista was released. I suggest you download and install the latest version (version 6.1), which is found here.

If you do intall the latest Platform SDK be aware of this if you use vbc or csc from the command line:
Installing Win SDK for Svr 2008 after VS 2008 breaks VS command line build environment