• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bulgurmayo

typedef and template parameter in C++

This topic is 3708 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, is the following piece of code valid Cpp. Or am I exposing myself to the dangers of undefined behaviour :
template <typename T>
class A
{
public:
  typedef boost::ptr_container< T >    Container;
  typedef Container::value_type        value_type;
  typedef Container::reference         reference;
  typedef Container::const_reference   const_reference;
  typedef Container::size_type         size_type;
  typedef Container::iterator          iterator;
  typedef Container::const_iterator    const_iterator;

};

The thing I am worried about is this :
  typedef boost::ptr_container< T >    Container;

Advertisement
there needs to be a typename in there depending on how conformant your compiler is - maybe not vs6

template< class T>  
struct C
{
typedef ptr_vector< T> container;
typedef typename container::value_type value_type;
};

also consider derivation - its not necessarily right but depending on use can give you the typing information

template< class T>  
struct B : public ptr_vector< T>
{

};
B< int>::value_type elt;

Quote:
Original post by bulgurmayo
is the following piece of code valid Cpp. Or am I exposing myself to the dangers of undefined behaviour

It's not undefined behaviour. It's perfectly defined. Your code is ambiguous and will not compile under a conforming compiler. As mentioned above, you need to qualify the dependant names with a 'typename' decorator to disambiguate during two-phase name lookup.

You see a lot of exactly that sort of construct all through the standard library code. It's not only OK but the C++ gods beheld it and it was good.

--smw

Good catch chairthrower.

To elaborate, since the type of Container depends on a template parameter passed to "us", all it's member classes and types are what are known as "dependent typenames" and require the use of the typename keyword:
template <typename T>
class A
{
public:
typedef boost::ptr_container< T > Container;
typedef typename Container::value_type value_type;
typedef typename Container::reference reference;
typedef typename Container::const_reference const_reference;
typedef typename Container::size_type size_type;
typedef typename Container::iterator iterator;
typedef typename Container::const_iterator const_iterator;

};

Static functions/variables don't need to be qualified, but member templates also have special syntax:

typedef typename Container::allocator_type::template rebind<short>::other::template rebind<int>::other int_allocator;

Quick explaination: Since the exact type of Container depends on a template parameter of our context, T, a given member... say, Container::foo, could be a static variable for T=char, a static function for T=short, a typedef for T=int, and a template for T=float. The typename keyword is our way of saying that a given expression ends in a type... in this case, that:

Container::...::other is a type.

Templates are slightly more complicated: We need to use the template keyword at each point they occur, which is why you see it multiple times in my convoluted example, unlike typename:

Container::...::template rebind is a template. Both times.

HTH

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!