Picking out a part of a std::string

Started by
3 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 15 years, 11 months ago
I'm trying to copy a part of a std::string into another string, but I cannot find any function that does what I want in the reference. Example: const int Length = 10; std::string temp = "abc def ghi jkl mno pqr stu vxyz"; std::string message = (temp.end(), temp.end()-Length); I want to pick out the last part of the original string, in this case the last 10 characters.
Advertisement
Use substr().

http://cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/substr.html
[size="2"]SignatureShuffle: [size="2"]Random signature images on fora
If you want to use iterators:
std::string message( temp.end()-Length, temp.end() );
Notes here: We're using std::string's 2 parameter constructor (which you can't call using assignment construction syntax... hence the lack of an '=' here). Also, standard C++ convention dictates that the beginning iterator is always first -- since temp.end()-Length is before temp.end(), the parameter order needs to be swapped.

If you want to accomplish the same thing with an existing std::string you can use it's assign function (or a temporary):

std::string message;message.assign( temp.end()-Length, temp.end() ); // with assignmessage = std::string( temp.end()-Length, temp.end() ); // with unnamed temporary -- note we have to explicitly name the type here.

As for how your code is being handled: You're using the comma operator, which means your code behaves something like this:
temp.end();std::string message = temp.end()-Length;

Which is to say, it doesn't compile, since you can't assign a std::string to a single iterator. The comma operator effectively simply evaluates each item in sequence and 'returns' the last one.
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
As for how your code is being handled: You're using the comma operator, which means your code behaves something like this:

Which is to say, it doesn't compile, since you can't assign a std::string to a single iterator. The comma operator effectively simply evaluates each item in sequence and 'returns' the last one.
As a thought exercise, the comma operator can be overridden to make that syntax work - though I would highly recommend not doing this in real code:
template <typename IterT>std::string operator , (const IterT &begin, const IterT &end){	return std::string(begin, end);}

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey

As a thought exercise, the comma operator can be overridden to make that syntax work - though I would highly recommend not doing this in real code:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

If you're going to go and create great evil like that, you might as well go all out with implicit conversions:
template < typename Iterator >class range {    Iterator begin, end;public:    range( Iterator begin, Iterator end ): begin(begin), end(end) {}    template < typename Container > operator Container() const { return Container( begin, end ); }};template < typename IterT >range<IterT> operator , (const IterT &begin, const IterT &end){	return range<IterT>(begin, end);}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement