Tutorial for XNA2 DX10

Started by
6 comments, last by gharen2 15 years, 12 months ago
I started learning 3d programming willing to design games with directx 9, I found riemers tutorials pretty useful, I know I was slow then, a few years ago I write some codes to simulate some photoshop filters which I think will help me writing shaders. I know good Delphi and some C#, right now I’m using DX10 and XNA 2, I need some tutorials as good as riemers (I thank him) it’s for xna express, also rocket commander tutorials are really good which are also available in video format, but they are not using xna. I need to learn about collision, and currently I stopped in using effect file. Also sound, animation. I’m first semester at university and I want to make a game for my graduation project. I know good photoshop for textures I know some 3ds max, the main thing about the project will be AI and the idea although I don’t want to use many models from outside and I want to make them on my own or may be with a project-mate. Please show me some references, I go to xna.com and msdn but they’re most codes without much comments and they sometimes are particular. For example I watched “how to make a game in 60 mins” from Microsoft and it teaches how to use bounding sphere for asteroid collision but you see it’s only applicable for round objects. Or when it shows how to use effects it shows it with basiceffect. I’m not really happy with msdn, when I was learning Delphi the documentation was much more efficient. so, I learned a lot from rocket commander and riemers. I know ziggyware. Can you tell me some other links for the subjects I need to know about… thanks
Advertisement
Just FYI, if you're using XNA you're not using DX10. XNA only has a D3D9 back-end.
Quote:
right now I’m using DX10 and XNA 2

This confuses me. You must mean in two separate projects, right? XNA has no D3D10 feature level support.

Quote:
I need to learn about collision, and currently I stopped in using effect file.

Collision and effect files are orthogonal concepts.

Quote:
it teaches how to use bounding sphere for asteroid collision but you see it’s only applicable for round objects.

Not really. Spherical collision is a good first step in any collision system because its cheap and you can easily determine if two objects are not in collision, thus avoiding spending time on more complex collision routines. It's a huge performance benefit. Look into hierarchical collision detection and response methods (the best resources for these are usually, in my experience, books).

Quote:
Or when it shows how to use effects it shows it with basiceffect.

Look for (Google for) 'shaders' and D3D9. Effect files are a layer on top of the shader system. You are perhaps not finding anything useful because the term effect is slightly too broad to return meaningful results.

Quote:
Can you tell me some other links for the subjects I need to know about…

You're asking for information on very broad subject areas. Try using Google to search for them (for example, for sound or animation articles). Sometimes the best source of information (usually for collision/physics, math, and animation/graphics stuff) are books.

The good resources will usually have no code at all, and just be a discussion of techniques (for example, academic papers when it comes to graphics effects). You need to learn to read those things and not be hampered by the crutch of having to have source code around.

If you're unfamiliar with the use of the specific APIs in XNA or D3D, then searching MSDN or Google for documentation/tutorials on those APIs is likely the best option.

Be more specific.
Do you know that riemers' site also contains tutorials on XNA?
Quote:
Quote:
I need to learn about collision, and currently I stopped in using effect file.

Collision and effect files are orthogonal concepts.

just wondering, aren't effect files are just xna's way of using shaders(amongst other things), couldnt you implement colision detection within a shader?

Nathan

Edit-Spelling mistakes ...tsk
--------------------------------------EvilMonkeySoft Blog
Quote:Original post by Gage64
Do you know that riemers' site also contains tutorials on XNA?

it's for express

by the way, i didn't mean to mix collision with effect. i just said i need to know about collision, but first i have to fix the fx loading problem

i didn't know xna uses dx9, as for using xna we have to install the directx sdk, i thought i uses the sdk version.
Quote:
just wondering, aren't effect files are just xna's way of using shaders(amongst other things), couldnt you implement colision detection within a shader?

Not practically, no. It's been done for particles and localized point-to-point systems, and can work there... kinda.

But the more complete, complex collision required for most gameplay purposes is better suited to CPU-side implementation. Shaders have some rather rigid limitations... those limitations have relaxed in recent years, but they're still not a silver bullet for general computation at all.
Quote:Original post by Wardyahh
just wondering, aren't effect files are just xna's way of using shaders(amongst other things)

In the loosest sense sure. More accurately, they let you setup and restore states before and after rendering. This has very handy implications: for example, if a bunch of objects use the same effect, you can group them together to cut down on state changes.

Quote:Original post by Comboy
i didn't know xna uses dx9, as for using xna we have to install the directx sdk, i thought i uses the sdk version.

The SDK has both Direct3D9 and 10. Direct3D9 is going to be around for quite a while yet, so there's still developer support for it.

Quote:Original post by Comboy
it's for express

So? That just means the way the project is created is slightly differently. The code will be exactly the same.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement