help making a basic map editor ?

Started by
5 comments, last by barraclough 15 years, 12 months ago
Hi there im lookin for some help, a point in the right direction. Would like to create a very very basic map editor. Basicly that will let me make small maps, not 3d, just 2d. I have basic programming knolege in c++, not much but think with the right help i can make this. Want to make it using dev C++. basicly i want it to let me choose, like for starters show like a menu like so: 1.New Map 2.Save Map 3.Load Map 4.Exit When i click 1, i want it to let me enter 2 numbers for the width and height, i was told its an array, so some help there would be apreciated. When i click 2, i want to save the file, i can manage this with the writefile, so i recon i could do that. When i click 3, Load the map which should be easy eniff with readfile. also when i click 4 exit the drogram, easy enuff. So any help and improvements would be great. Oh im new to the forums so hi guys, and sorry for the spelling mistakes, i have a small problem with spelling. Thanks :D
Advertisement
Well before you get too far into this project, let me make some suggestions...

-Don't use DevC++. It's old and busted. Check out Visual C++ 2008 Express if you want a high-quality IDE that's free to download.

-I'd consider making this map editor in C# using Windows Forms. I've made map editors in straight C++ with the Windows API...it's doable, but time-consuming and difficult. In Windows forms setting up things like menus and controls are a snap. C# is generally an easier language to work with as well, while still sharing a lot of conventions and syntax with C++ (making it easy to switch between the two)
Thanks for the recomendation.

I shall switch to visual c++, but i would still like to do it in c++, most games are made in it and id like to make a basic map editor.

Thanks for the suggestions, can u help me with the actual program for the map editor.
Quote:i would still like to do it in c++, most games are made in it

Just so you'd know, many studios are switching to C# for their tools development, in part because of the reasons MJP mentioned.

Quote:When i click 1, i want it to let me enter 2 numbers for the width and height, i was told its an array, so some help there would be apreciated.

You don't need an array, just declare two variables.

If you are not even familiar with arrays, this might be a bit much for you. I suggest that you look at the free book at the 2nd link in my sig to learn more about C++.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but learning more about the language will benefit you in the long run.
Quote:Original post by barraclough but i would still like to do it in c++, most games are made in it and id like to make a basic map editor.

Your map editor and your game can be made with different languages. Knowing which language to use when is a useful skill. In my opinion making the editor in C++ instead of C# will be more work for little to no reward.
Quote:Original post by barraclough
Thanks for the suggestions, can u help me with the actual program for the map editor.

Alright then. I'm guessing you're doing this in straight-up Win32, judging by the fact that you were going to use DevC++. How familiar are you with Win32 programming? Do you understand how the message loop works, and basic things like that?
wow loads of responses.

Ok em well i know some of u think i should use c instead of c++ because it is easier, i understand but would still like to do it in c++, enin if the reward is next to nuthing.

Gage64 = A know how to declare the varibles but not shure how to do it when it comes to displaying the map.

MJP = yeah in doing win32 programming, i did a little bit a college last year, not much but i can do basics, loops, basic arrays most basic stuff, well what i can remember.

Basicly this is my starter program, use it to create my basic maps, later on i will make another program to use the map in some sort of small game ore something, right now i just want to make a small crappy map creator.

Once again really thanks for helpin me do this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement