Is direct3d remedial mode a waste of API??

Started by
18 comments, last by meganova75 24 years, 5 months ago
Thanks Neils, glad I'm not the only one noticing this.

Han: you still haven't proven your point. How is it infringing on a person's rights when you say something vague or incorrect. I'd agree if someone said something wrong and they were the ONLY source of information, as that would mean that you are limiting there ability to learn. But as it is, the information being discussed can be learned from many sources.

A vague statement is not "economic abuse" and there aren't any conspiracys on this board to sway peoples opinion. There is a big difference between saying something incorrect and limiting someones ability to learn. Even if someone said something incorrect intentionaly I still wouldn't call it economic abuse because there are many sources of information, and there are many people who will jump in and dispute the incorrect statement anyway.

--TheGoop

[This message has been edited by TheGoop (edited October 26, 1999).]

Advertisement
Reason of economic abuse? It seems you have seen only part of the definition.

(Definition of economic abuse) Any action which limits a person's ability to earn, have access to, or manage the economic resources in her/his life.

If you say something wrong information on a person's possible choices, then the person's perception is misled. Through this mislead perception, her/his ability to mange her/his own time/money becomes limited. What she/he think her/his possoble choices becomes different from actual possibe choices. For example, even if a person's need matches RM, the statement "RM is dead" can make her/him not to use it.

Although this behavior may not be always illegal, it represents low morality and disrepect to other persons' freedom.
I forgot to answer to another question:

Existence of other methods to get correct information does not matter.

If there were not mislleading information, she/he could save time to get correct information.
Again in this way, ability to mange her/his own time (economic resources) got limited (economic abuse).

Ah well, since we're into the nitty gritty:

The fact that you punish people for saying something, anything, is basically a problem, in that it prevents free speech (speech IS with an 'e', in english ) rather than advocate it.

I don't care if people are muslims, christians, black, yellow, green, white or blue. If they are nazis or freedom fighters - as long as all they do is speak, I believe my ability to filter what is said will "protect" me... No law can ever do that.

Which brings me back to my point: The problem is not what's beeing said, the problem is peoples inability to interpret and evaluate. Yes, people, in general, are deaf dumb and blind, and yes, they fall prey to false rumors and lies. But no law can protect a fool from beeing run over by a train he didn't care to look for.

Han: I've noticed that you know your definitions. Ever considered the possibility that they are wrong? A definition, by definition, is not a law !

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Well said
The definition is quite neat. If a person does not accept the definition, it simply means the person does not respect other person's freedom. The definition has been already accepted in various US police and court.

Although I admit the definition may not be a law, abusive behavior always brings justification and shift of responsibility:

>The problem is not what's beeing said, the problem is peoples inability to interpret and evaluate.

If someone stole money and if some people say the problem is lack of security, does it mean steal is not a problem? Shift of responsibility to others is very typical.

D3D RM Dead? No.
D3D RM Not updated anymore? Yes.
Should you use D3DRM? No.

If your just testing something out, you may want to use D3DRM, but I dont reccomend it. What would it really show you? It wouldnt be the same in IM. The speed would be different, and the implementation would be different.

I dont know the real reason D3DRM was stopped being updated, but I'm guessing because it was so slow. Nothing commerical could use something as slow as it and get away with it, not even with the new 700mhz processors. It'll show, and you'll wish you would of took the extra few hours to use IM instead.

If you want to do fast 3D development, use D3DX. I've found it to be quite good, and its quite fast, as fast as D3DIM to my knowledge. And it doesnt limit what you do. Its part of the DirectX 7 SDK, by the way.

Many people think D3DRM is all that, but its been shown that it is much slower then the other API's.

Oh well, its the actual programmers choice in the end. I'd reccomend D3DIM or D3DX. Just make sure your sure your really sure the API you choose is a good choice before you deploy it into a large project that would add alot of time to its development to change it to a fast 3D API.

D. Smith
Reg. the US gov. accepting the definition: That really makes zero difference to me - Isn't that the same institution that is defending a completely brain dead law to prevent widespread use of cryptograhy (to name an example).

Anyway, there is a huge difference between stealing and saying something. Namely, that the lies people spread won't affect me unless I choose to listen to them (Or someone else does, which brings me back to the point about not believing everything people tell you). However, if someone steal my wallet, that WILL affect me no matter if I try to ignore it or not.

Bottom line is, if you want absolute freedom of speech, you have to accept that people can say whatever they feel like, regardless of the truth value of it. As soon as you start defining "truth" you're on a sidetrack that leads one way: to oppression (And then you can really start talking conspiracy ).

Interresting discussion BTW, odd forum though ...

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Would I be wasting my time learning the
d3drm api or should I just stick with
hardcore 3d graphics and direct3d immediate
mode?
Dan: D3DX is just a helper lib for D3DIM which handles some commond things like initialization and texture loading. Thats it. D3DX is designed to help you with some of the tougher parts of IM, it's not meant to replace it though. But everything else you said was completely correct IMHO though

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement