Cross-platform API

Started by
13 comments, last by atimes 16 years ago
A group of friends and I just embarked on the perilous journey into the realm of cross-platform game programming. Sadly, most game programming is very window-centric, so there isn't a lot of information on cross-platform development (at least that I've found). We've all been doing professional work for a few years now in the Seattle region, so hopefully this won't seem too much a beginner question :P Although I already suspect the answer, is the QueryPerformanceFrequency/Timer call functional on any system but windows? We're targeting Windows and Linux right now, so if anyone knows of a Linux equivalent (if not cross-platform), that'd be awesome. Thanks all, Tim (FML) *Edit: If you could point us to a good cross-platform development reference, that'd be excellent too. [Edited by - twoodbur on April 23, 2008 10:26:40 PM]
Advertisement
For Windows, timeGetTime() from winmm.lib is recommended, as it's the most accurate solution for millisecond accuracy.

QueryPerformanceCounter() is risky, because not all processors have a constant frequency. Games that use this function often get choppy on laptops, because mobile processors have a tendency to throttle their speed to regulate power consumption and temperature.

For Linux, gettimeofday() seems like your best bet.

To make your code cross platform, you'll have to select the proper timer func using a bunch of defines...
Quote:To make your code cross platform, you'll have to select the proper timer func using a bunch of defines...

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Once you leave the standard...

Quote:
For Windows, timeGetTime() from winmm.lib is recommended, as it's the most accurate solution for millisecond accuracy.

QueryPerformanceCounter() is risky, because not all processors have a constant frequency.

Hmm... I'd always heard that timGetTime()'s resolution was kind of low (like 10ms range). I've never had problems with the Query functions, but I can definately understand variable frequency processors. I've not done much mobile development, so I never really thought about it much.

I appreciate the info. :)
Quote:Original post by kiwibonga

QueryPerformanceCounter() is risky, because not all processors have a constant frequency. Games that use this function often get choppy on laptops, because mobile processors have a tendency to throttle their speed to regulate power consumption and temperature.
timeGetTime is not the most accurate solution:
Quote:Windows NT/2000: The default precision of the timeGetTime function can be five milliseconds or more, depending on the machine. You can use the timeBeginPeriod and timeEndPeriod functions to increase the precision of timeGetTime. If you do so, the minimum difference between successive values returned by timeGetTime can be as large as the minimum period value set using timeBeginPeriod and timeEndPeriod. Use the QueryPerformanceCounter and QueryPerformanceFrequency functions to measure short time intervals at a high resolution.

However kiwibonga sounds right about QueryPerformanceCounter problems judging from these search results.

The handy thing is that gettimeofday() works across the board for all linux and Macs. The ugly side is that there is no single reliable method of timing under windows. You pretty much have to use QueryPerformanceCounter, and then crosscheck it with a less accurate function to figure out when it blows up.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

What the MSDN article doesn't say though is that the "5 ms or more" is only applicable to Windows 9x/NT. On Windows XP and Vista, it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get 1 ms resolution...

So if you want to support Windows 9x, there's two solutions... Either you never require a resolution of less than 5 ms, or you make an additional special case based on the windows version defines and interpolate... Realistically speaking, though, you'll rarely run into situations where you'll need to update things at regular intervals 200 times per second or more.
Quote:Original post by kiwibonga

Nope, wrong. It works just fine and reliably on all systems as long as you also use QueryPerformanceFrequency() to retrieve the frequency of the counter and use that along with the data from QueryPerformanceCounter to calculate an accurate time. If the accuracy on laptop systems is really important, then you can call both functions every time you query the time, rather than just the performance counter function, in case the frequency changes (not likely).
I'm not sure about the gettimeofday functionality, but generally about multiplatform game development, I'd like to advice the SDL+OpenGL combination: this allows most things needed for making a game and compiles on many platforms.
Quote:Original post by Aressera
Nope, wrong. It works just fine and reliably on all systems as long as you also use QueryPerformanceFrequency() to retrieve the frequency of the counter and use that along with the data from QueryPerformanceCounter to calculate an accurate time. If the accuracy on laptop systems is really important, then you can call both functions every time you query the time, rather than just the performance counter function, in case the frequency changes (not likely).
Yes, but as soon as the frequency changes between two measurements it craps up.
If you use it to measure frame time, you'll have the start time and the end time. If you also know the start and end frequency, you've no idea if or when the frequency changed or how long the frame took.
Add to that the problem that if you have a dual-core system, QPC can give wrong results (My AMD 4600 does this without the processor patch installed, which isn't installed by default or via windows update).

The only way to handle it is to sanity check your times with timeGetTime as swiftcoder said.
"Yes, but as soon as the frequency changes between two measurements it craps up."
Why would the frequency change? According to the docs "The frequency cannot change while the system is running." The counter can jump if that is what you mean.

It really depends on how low a level you want to interact with the application environment. You could go low and use gettimeofday or stay at a higher level and use middleware such as SDL etc
Here is a couple of book recommendations:
Programming Linux Games
Write Portable Code
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment

[Edited by - dmail on April 25, 2008 8:25:06 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement