sprite making tutorial HELP

Started by
10 comments, last by tonyg 15 years, 11 months ago
guys,, i want to make 2d RPG,,my greatest problem is the graphics!! how can i make good graphics?? where? adobe photoshop?? i dont want graphics like in ZELDA,POKEMON!! its to small.. i like tha graphics og GunBound,Ragnarok,Trickster.. can anyone point me to a link or it would be better to teach me here or give some advice for me to learn.. thanks!!!
Advertisement
I liked this site's tutorials: http://derekyu.com/extras/pixel01.html
Photoshop is expensive, but the best for creating the art. It's difficult to do animations. There's something called "Paint .net" for windows that's supposed to be good for painting. Derek suggests two animating programs, the one for Windows has layers but has a limited color range, the one for Mac doesn't, which requires you to paint each animation frame individually.

Here's a link to a sticky at the top of the visual arts forum: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=367219

P.S. It might be helpful for us to know what OS you're working on, I have no idea what to suggest if you use Linux. Also, what stage of development are you in, drawing, painting or animating?

- Valles
sorry,, im using WINDOWS.. and i have photoshop..

so how can i make the animation?? do i have to draw every frame?? (T_T)
can I still make good sprites without tablet?? tablets are expensive and Im still a student.. so can I still make good graphics using only the mouse??

how??

the tutorials that im reading is too difficult for me because i have no tablet..
Photoshop can be difficult when you want to do precision work, though many Pixel Artists will swear by it. You can also use plain old MSPaint, Graphics Gale, The Gimp, Paint.Net, or Inkscape. Personally i'd recommend MSPaint, its a very simple tool so you don't have to worry about learning a whole lot of features or options, and you can focus more on your Artistic Technique, its up to you though and you can pick any art tool that you feel comfortable with.

Quote:so how can i make the animation?? do i have to draw every frame?? (T_T)

Generally yes, you'd have to do it Frame by Frame. Another method involves using a 3D modeler and taking various screenshots from different angles, this is easier if your good at 3D modeling.

Quote: can I still make good sprites without tablet?? tablets are expensive and Im still a student.. so can I still make good graphics using only the mouse??

Lol, yes you can make good art without tablets. You don't need a tablet, though from what i've seen some artists can make good use of them. Whats more important is what your comfortable with using.

Try visiting Pixeljoint, alot of Sprite Artists hang around there and there are some good tutorials to be found there. You could also try reading Creating Good Game Art When Your Not An Artist. Good luck and remember to practice, practice, practice!
normally how long it will take to make a sprite 256 x 256 without a tablet(just a mouse)??

because i spend too long making just a sprite(GRRR!)
like ragnarok sprites,,is it made from a higher resolution then make it smaller or they draw it directly to a 128 by 128 canvas?? every frame is done from scratch???? (WAAAA!) even one sprite/frame im giving too much time for it to be 'good enough'...
Quote:normally how long it will take to make a sprite 256 x 256 without a tablet(just a mouse)??

because i spend too long making just a sprite(GRRR!)

That depends on the skill of the artist, some artists can make a 256x256 piece of work in about an hour or two, some in a month or two.

Quote:like ragnarok sprites,,is it made from a higher resolution then make it smaller or they draw it directly to a 128 by 128 canvas?? every frame is done from scratch???? (WAAAA!) even one sprite/frame im giving too much time for it to be 'good enough'...

I don't know the specific's of how Ragnarok Onlines sprites were done, but similar images could likely be drawn directly to a 128x128 canvas. Some artists DO in fact draw the images big and then shrink them down as they work, but this is largely a matter of personal technique than a requirement. If your good with a pencil and paper, you may consider drawing it by hand and then scanning it as some artists are known to do that as well.

Make no mistake doing good quality art takes time, if your particularly new to PixelArt you shouldn't expect spontaneous results. Try working on smaller, more simpler images and have patience, keep practicing and you'll get there eventually.
If you are not comfortable drawing with a mouse, why not draw/scan/trace with a mouse?

The time it requires depends on the experience of the artist, as well as the quality. I agree with Gyrthok, start with small simple images and work your way up.

Also, since you won't need all the bells and whistles of a high and tablet for PixelArt, I would suggest getting a cheap tablet. It is a good investment and saves a lot of time in the long run, also it's heathier to draw with a tablet.

I'm sure you can find an average below 200$. Cheaper than Photoshop ;)

Here are some tutorials to get you started:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/tutorials.asp
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/
http://derekyu.com/extras/pixel01.html

Good luck.
I second a lot of the advice given here:
Go slowly; you aren't going to be Picasso in a week, it takes a long, long time to get to the levels of professionals, if even get there.

Start Simple; work your way up from small things, 256 is pretty big for pixel art. MSPaint is ok(I use it), but you might consider Paint.NET. A mouse will work just fine.

And, finally: practice, practice, practice. Doodle on everything you can get your hands on and at anytime. Bored in class? Draw. Don't waste time waiting around when you could be putting pencil on paper.

You can get good advice from most of the tutorials posted already.
I am actually writing an article on the subject of Pixel Art, if you have specific questions.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement