Oddballs: Balls Will Collide

Started by
5 comments, last by MightyNinja 15 years, 11 months ago
Oddballs is a family-friendly racing game allowing two players to share the keyboard for a split-screen game, or if you have one or two Xbox360 controllers, up to four player split-screen. Any remaining balls will be controlled by the AI. Oddballs was created by myself and 8 other student programmers attending Media Design School (New Zealand) to complete the Diploma of Interactive Gaming. For a period of 8 weeks total production, we were required to create a Technical Design Document, Game Design Document and finally begin production of our chosen game. The team is relatively proud of what we have achieved. All of us started programming in August 2007 with little or no previous experience of C++, and defiantly no experience using DirectX - or working in a team environment. We also had no artists within the team, so basic models and artwork was made by one team member. All of this we was a great learning experience, there are so many things we would do (like LOTS more planning) and not do (assigning large projects to a single person), but we've learn t from these mistakes. The game is now available for download at GameCareerGuide.com (requires registration with Gamasutra.com), or alternatively at this mirror.
" target="_blank">Oddballs game trailer (video footage is of older game build).
" target="_blank">Oddballs - Behind the scenes Any feedback (positive or negative) would be awesome to hear. Thanks :) [Edited by - MightyNinja on April 25, 2008 7:11:15 PM]
Advertisement
Congrats on completing the game. I watched the youtube video, the game actually looks fun, but im not a fan of registering to download a demo. the mirror did not work. Looking to improve this game? Or is this the final version? Congrats again on the completed game to you and your team!
The Few.. The Proud.. The Marines..
Quote:Original post by laugheazy
Congrats on completing the game. I watched the youtube video, the game actually looks fun, but im not a fan of registering to download a demo. the mirror did not work. Looking to improve this game? Or is this the final version? Congrats again on the completed game to you and your team!

Thanks :) Yeah, sorry about the registration thing. I'm not sure why the link to the mirror is not working. I've fixed the post (link had some rubbish in it). If it comes up with a 404 message, just go to there address bar and hit enter (or just refresh), seemed to work for me. I'm not sure on the download speed either. I'll get another copy of the game up on RapidShare tomorrow.

I'm not sure if other team members will want to fix up the game at all. There's so much we could add to itof course, but we've finished our course and going separate ways. One thing I will be fixing up is the level editor however. But other than that, it's up in the air :)

Thanks for your post :)
First link you had to register to download, the other was broken.
So I skipped to download it at all, but it looked cool on the screenshots..
Quote:Original post by Iderik
First link you had to register to download, the other was broken.
So I skipped to download it at all, but it looked cool on the screenshots..

I'm guessing the broken one is something like a hotlink defeater... just going to the address bar and hitting enter as suggested above made it work. (setting your browser to not send referrer would probably also work)

Though holy crap, 136 megs!? I'm not big on large downloads... (>10 megs makes me wonder what got packed into the game...)

The video looks cute. How many polys are the spheres folks run inside? They look very crisp (wondering because I've had trouble making/rendering a nice transparent sphere in OpenGL).
- kaolin fire- http://www.erif.org/- http://www.gudmagazine.com/
Actually also curious what you used to record your trailer. ;) :)
- kaolin fire- http://www.erif.org/- http://www.gudmagazine.com/
Quote:Original post by nentwined
Actually also curious what you used to record your trailer. ;) :)

Just good-old fraps was used to capture the in-game footage. I'll get back to you on the poly-count of the sphere. I'm sure it's relatively small, but I’ll ask the guy who made it.

Lol, yep, the file size is relatively large. A bulk of it comes from the music that we've used in the game. I'll look to having a version with the music removed perhaps (it does make it a bit dull though, but hey, if more people download the better).

I'll also see to why the link is doing what it's doing. I think I’ve just set something wrong on my end :)

Thanks for the kind comments; the team appreciates it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement