• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
supagu

multithread problem

This topic is 3711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im trying to put support for multithreading in a my audio code. I'm doing this so i can seperate the streaming in to its own thread. now the problem i've come across is this: i have a method called Stop which acquires a semaphore reference and release once done the same class has an Update method which also acquires a semaphore and releases once done. The problem is this Update method calls Stop in some situations, so then i get a lock up. Would a Mutex fix this problem? if not, whats the recommended way to get around this? some sort of hidden last parameter to Stop which tells it no to acquire/release the semaphore?

Advertisement
A mutex is simply a binary semaphore, where as semaphores in the usual sense can be incremented and decremented multiple times (that is to say, more than one thread can "lock" it at a time).

Do the Stop and Update methods both lock the same mutex? If so, as you said you could have Stop take a boolean parameter specifying whether or not to lock the mutex; Update would pass false since it would already have locked it. Or you could do something like this:

class Audio
{
private:

StopPrivate()
{
// don't lock/unlock mutex here, as it will already have been done
}

public:

Update()
{
LockMutex();
StopPrivate();
UnlockMutex();
}

Stop()
{
LockMutex();
StopPrivate();
UnlockMutex();
}
};

StopImpl()
{
///
}

Stop()
{
lock();
StopImpl();
unlock();
}

Update()
{
lock();
if (stop) StopImpl();
unlock();
}

Use the scoped locking idiom, though.

Another solution would be to use a recursive mutex, though some would consider that a bad practice.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!