Sign in to follow this  
riruilo

What scripting language use in a very simply and small 2D game?

riruilo    218
Hi friends! I would like to hear your suggestion about this... because right now I have no idea about scripting languages. What I want to program using a scripting language is a bonus screen/level of a slot machine (very tiny 2D game using animated sprites). My idea is that my designer workmate ( who has no idea about programing ) could be able to design these bonus screen by himself writing a script file. Lua, Python, GameMonkey... I appreciate a lot your help. Thank you very much.

juglar    148
Lua and Phyton it's very popular and very nice and you can find lot of examples on how to use it and integrate to your engine, but take a look to GameMonkey, is't very powerful

daviangel    604
You will find that Python has a larger community and better documentation than the others you mention in your list.
Last time I tried Lua the documentation was quite lacking so you might want to consider this?

riruilo    218
Quote:
Original post by daviangel
You will find that Python has a larger community and better documentation than the others you mention in your list.
Last time I tried Lua the documentation was quite lacking so you might want to consider this?

Of course, I know there are a lot of scrpting languages.
If you know another one, please, let me know.

I would like to use the most easy to use language. I've seen Lua is being used by many computer games nowadays. Anyway, I have a few days to decide which one I will use.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Daerax    1207
there is also; pawn, squirrel and angelscript or game monkey to consider. If you are on .net you can also embed Cat, L# or IronScheme.

wodinoneeye    1689

Probably the first consideration would be which has the easier 2D graphical libraries to use (you could probably find examples of most of the operations you need to have done for the game).

Hollower    685
Scripting languages are programming languages. You can try to make it easier for a non-programmer by defining a lot of functions ahead of time so he can just call them in a serial fashion. A more accessible approach is a data-driven "Properties" dialog where the user can chain together triggers/events.

riruilo    218
Quote:
Original post by Hollower
Scripting languages are programming languages. You can try to make it easier for a non-programmer by defining a lot of functions ahead of time so he can just call them in a serial fashion. A more accessible approach is a data-driven "Properties" dialog where the user can chain together triggers/events.

That's my idea, because my game designer is not a programmer, just a modeler, so I need the easiest language.

Thanks.