What scripting language use in a very simply and small 2D game?

Started by
12 comments, last by riruilo 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi friends! I would like to hear your suggestion about this... because right now I have no idea about scripting languages. What I want to program using a scripting language is a bonus screen/level of a slot machine (very tiny 2D game using animated sprites). My idea is that my designer workmate ( who has no idea about programing ) could be able to design these bonus screen by himself writing a script file. Lua, Python, GameMonkey... I appreciate a lot your help. Thank you very much.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Advertisement
Flip a coin, roll a die or just try them out until you decide on which one you like best.
Lua has a small footprint - I personally would start there. If you don't have a coin, that is. :)
Lua and Phyton it's very popular and very nice and you can find lot of examples on how to use it and integrate to your engine, but take a look to GameMonkey, is't very powerful
Thanks for your replies.

But, what does "Lua has a small footprint" mean? (my English is not very good)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
It takes up little disk space and uses little memory when running.
OK, thanks, I will try Lua :)
You will find that Python has a larger community and better documentation than the others you mention in your list.
Last time I tried Lua the documentation was quite lacking so you might want to consider this?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangel
You will find that Python has a larger community and better documentation than the others you mention in your list.
Last time I tried Lua the documentation was quite lacking so you might want to consider this?

Of course, I know there are a lot of scrpting languages.
If you know another one, please, let me know.

I would like to use the most easy to use language. I've seen Lua is being used by many computer games nowadays. Anyway, I have a few days to decide which one I will use.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
there is also; pawn, squirrel and angelscript or game monkey to consider. If you are on .net you can also embed Cat, L# or IronScheme.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement