Visual Studio Express, No source control?

Started by
7 comments, last by Rydinare 15 years, 12 months ago
Hi, after spending a few days researching various source control options for my visual c++ projects I decided on using Perforce as it had a lot of good things said and the free licence for 2 users. However I am using Visual Studio Express 2008, and from what I understand there is no source control options available (or at least to integrate into the IDE). I have never used a program for source control before (not even at my work!!!) and would like to start to get experience and see the benefits and blah. Even though I cant integrate with the IDE (does anyone know if there's a hack or anything to get this?) I was wondering if it is worth doing just using the client/server tools that Perforce provides? Could anyone list some pros and cons of doing so? thanks.
Advertisement
Source control in any form is extremely useful. Whether it's IDE integrated or not, and whether you are working on a project by yourself or with others, it's a very useful tool to use.
Source control is great, and Perforce is great. (Perforce isn't all that great alone or in a small team IMO, but in large environments it shines.) I always just use P4Win, as the VS integration doesn't do anything more than get on my nerves. It seems constantly broken.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I don't use the express editions to any great degree, but the last I checked, MS has attempted to disable the use of all add-ins with the express editions, and has gone after add-in developers who have managed to get add-ins to work with express edition anyways. (Ex: witness the NUnit crap.)
The Visual Studio source control integration is terrible, anyway, from my experience of having used Visual Studio integrated with a few different source control systems. The performance hits due to the source control integration were horrendous and their source control integration doesn't really support people who work with the merge model.

Overall, I would consider this a blessing in disguise. [smile]
Perforce is great, I wouldn't worry about visual studio integration though. I've never bothered to set it up on my machine and it would probably just tend to get in my way.
Thanks for the replies. I supopse I was looking for IDE integration as I havn't used source control and thought that it would be easier that way.

When I get home tonight I will setup Perforce and read the documentation to get use to it, hopefully able to start using it in a real project next week.

Quote:Original post by Rydinare
The Visual Studio source control integration is terrible, anyway, from my experience of having used Visual Studio integrated with a few different source control systems. The performance hits due to the source control integration were horrendous and their source control integration doesn't really support people who work with the merge model.

I haven't used source control integrated with VS since the days of VC++ 6, but back then it worked very nicely.

Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by Rydinare

I haven't used source control integrated with VS since the days of VC++ 6, but back then it worked very nicely.

I've only used it with the .Net versions, but that is my experience anyway. The fact that it doesn't support the merge model is especially unacceptable, imho.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement