Silhouette Rendering - looking for feedback (Now with integral based anti-aliasing!)

Started by
10 comments, last by dopplex 15 years, 11 months ago
For dynamic cases, say like a human figure, you need to keep the normal vector and tangent vectors in the edge mesh updated according to how the figure is currently posed. This is really more important for the ridges and valleys than the actual silhouette, but it still applies to the silhouette as well.

Now that D3D10 is around, the geometry shader would be much more appropriate to use for both pre-processing as well as rendering and selecting the edges to display (not to mention performing the extruding). That might be something to check into if you want to advance the technique to run more on the GPU than the CPU.

Your work looks pretty good, keep up the good work!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Jason Z
For dynamic cases, say like a human figure, you need to keep the normal vector and tangent vectors in the edge mesh updated according to how the figure is currently posed. This is really more important for the ridges and valleys than the actual silhouette, but it still applies to the silhouette as well.

Now that D3D10 is around, the geometry shader would be much more appropriate to use for both pre-processing as well as rendering and selecting the edges to display (not to mention performing the extruding). That might be something to check into if you want to advance the technique to run more on the GPU than the CPU.

Your work looks pretty good, keep up the good work!

Yeah, the geometry shader seems to be exactly what would be needed here. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be experimenting with that for a while, since I want to avoid doing anything that would restrict me to Vista-only setups.

Animation is the next thing I'm planning to tackle - just haven't quite had the time to figure out how I want to work it yet!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement