Sign in to follow this  
daniel_i_l

Upgrading to VS 2008

usually there are some situations that the upgrade wizard can't handle automatically for dotNET apps. In this case, however, it should not be a problem since dotNET 3.5 used by VS2008 doesn't contain any "breaking" changes to the dotNET 2.0 framework used by VS2005

It is a little better. No "huge" changes but, you can use Windows Presentation Foundation "out of the box" now in C# and VB, the express edition of C++ comes with Win32 windows app templates now (instead of the separate Platform SDK setup). In either case looks like everyone agrees that there souldn't be any problems upgrading to VS2008.

One exception is....
If you use Microsoft XNA Game Studio you'll need to keep some version of VS2005 along side 2008. (Both versions do indeed play nice together, so no need to worry)

If you're programming C++, you can utilize multiple cores during compilation of a single project. My machine compiles stuff so fast it makes my head spin with MSVC2008 (with the /Mp switch).

Well if you are using the express versions 2008 finally doesn't require you to download the platform SDK to develop windows apps.
I use 2008 primarily now that it's officially supported with the DX SDK. I still have 2005 installed though for XNA stuff.

I'm a little new to Visual Studio 2008, and the .NET Framework 3.5. But I've noticed that VS2008 can target the .NET Framework 2.0, which is nice because it's only recent that the .NET Framework 2.0 was found commonly installed on people's computers.