Upgrading to VS 2008

Started by
6 comments, last by Thevenin 15 years, 11 months ago
I'm currently using VS Express 2005. Are there any real advantages in upgrading to 2008? Will all my current projects be compatible? Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Advertisement
Visual Studio is able to convert project files from previous versions of visual studio to its current version. So, yes, your projects will still work.
usually there are some situations that the upgrade wizard can't handle automatically for dotNET apps. In this case, however, it should not be a problem since dotNET 3.5 used by VS2008 doesn't contain any "breaking" changes to the dotNET 2.0 framework used by VS2005
For some odd reason VS2008 just seems a little better. Its prolly just my artistic side liking the new splash screen but hey.
It is a little better. No "huge" changes but, you can use Windows Presentation Foundation "out of the box" now in C# and VB, the express edition of C++ comes with Win32 windows app templates now (instead of the separate Platform SDK setup). In either case looks like everyone agrees that there souldn't be any problems upgrading to VS2008.

One exception is....
If you use Microsoft XNA Game Studio you'll need to keep some version of VS2005 along side 2008. (Both versions do indeed play nice together, so no need to worry)
If you're programming C++, you can utilize multiple cores during compilation of a single project. My machine compiles stuff so fast it makes my head spin with MSVC2008 (with the /Mp switch).
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
Well if you are using the express versions 2008 finally doesn't require you to download the platform SDK to develop windows apps.
I use 2008 primarily now that it's officially supported with the DX SDK. I still have 2005 installed though for XNA stuff.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I'm a little new to Visual Studio 2008, and the .NET Framework 3.5. But I've noticed that VS2008 can target the .NET Framework 2.0, which is nice because it's only recent that the .NET Framework 2.0 was found commonly installed on people's computers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement