Sign in to follow this  
Rasmadrak

std::vector and template problem...

Hi, I'm curious why the following doesn't work.
template <class T>      //do I need to define T somewhere?
class ResourceManager
{
    private:
        vector<T*> *items;

public:

void init()
    {
        items = new vector<T*>;

for (vector<T*>::iterator i = items->begin(); i != items->end(); i++) //<-- This is not accepted, "Expected ; before i" 
        {
          //...  do stuff
        }
    }
}

To me it should work, but this is my first attempt using templates, so I might be missing something. I also have the same problem with std::map. Thanks for your time! /Robert

You should be more specific than just saying "it doesnt work"... [EDIT] - ahh, I see you described the error in your comments, never mind!

Anyway, you need a semicolon on the end of your class definition, and you need "std::" in front of "vector". This works for me:
template <class T>
class ResourceManager
{
private:
std::vector<T*> *items;

public:

void init()
{
items = new std::vector<T*>;

for (std::vector<T*>::iterator i = items->begin(); i != items->end(); i++)
{
//... do stuff
}
}
};

[EDIT]
As for style:

1) Dont use init functions! Use constructors and destructors:

template <class T>

class ResourceManager
{
private:
std::vector<T*> *items;
public:
ResourceManager()
{
items = new std::vector<T*>;

for (std::vector<T*>::iterator i = items->begin(); i != items->end(); i++)
{
//... do stuff
}
}
~ResourceManager()
{
delete items;
}
};

2) Is there any reason that items is a pointer?:

template <class T>

class ResourceManager
{
private:
std::vector<T*> items;
public:
ResourceManager()
{
for (std::vector<T*>::iterator i = items.begin(); i != items.end(); i++)
{
//... do stuff
}
}
};

The compiler is not certain that std::vector<T*>::iterator is actually referring to a type in this case — as far as it's concerned, it has as much chance of being a type as it does a member.

Just give it a hint that it's a type:

for ( typename std::vector< T* >::iterator i = ... )

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
You're probably missing a typename keyword

typename vector<T*>::iterator

Serves me right for wandering away before posting.

Hi!

"typename vector<T*>::iterator" did the trick!

I just noticed that I've left out quite a bit of information, for instance:
In my code I do have a semicolon after the class declaration, and "using namespace std". I also create and delete "items" in the constructor/destructor.
I guess I shouldn't post before going to sleep! :)

Also, about "items" being a pointer - I've read somewhere that the memory used when dynamically allocating variables is faster than putting it on the stack, so that's why. :)

Much appreciated, thanks again!

/Robert

Quote:
Original post by Rasmadrak

Also, about "items" being a pointer - I've read somewhere that the memory used when dynamically allocating variables is faster than putting it on the stack, so that's why. :)

It's the contrary : putting/removing variables on the stack is faster that allocating/deallocating memory for them on the heap, unless you've written a damned good allocator for your types.

Quote:
Original post by rolkA
Quote:

It's the contrary : putting/removing variables on the stack is faster that allocating/deallocating memory for them on the heap, unless you've written a damned good allocator for your types.

And, regardless, std::vector stores elements dynamically, anyway, so why not just let it serve the purpose it's meant to (i.e. be a resizeable array that looks after its own memory) rather than abusing it?

Quote:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Quote:
Original post by rolkA
Quote:

And, regardless, std::vector stores elements dynamically, anyway, so why not just let it serve the purpose it's meant to (i.e. be a resizeable array that looks after its own memory) rather than abusing it?

And, regardless that, the std::vector object will not necessarily be on the stack — it will be in the same storage as the enclosing ResourceManager-type object (i.e., if you do new ResourceManager then the vector will be allocated in the free store even without newing it manually).

Furthermore, and most importantly — you wouldn’t notice the difference anyway. Unless your algorithm were terribly wrong — in which case your performance bottleneck would be the algorithm and not your allocation method. So, to reiterate the Golden Rule — do not optimise prematurely.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane

Could someone explain why this needs to be typename'd? I'm not completely familiar with typenames, and I would have written this same for loop (without a typename) and would have had the same problem. Why doesn't that work just as an iterator for the for loop?

Inside template definitions, there are two kinds of types: dependent types and non-dependent types. Dependent types depend on the template arguments. So if you had a template with a T type argument then T would be a dependent type, but std::vector<T> is also a dependent type because it depends on what the definition of T is. Examples of non-dependent types would be like int, char or pretty much anything that doesn't contain T.

When using the :: operator on a dependent type, the compiler is supposed to assume that the identifier is a non-type identifier like a static member variable or member function name. So std::vector<T>::iterator will be assumed to be a non-type. In order for iterator to be treated as a type, you need to specify the typename keyword.

Quote:
Original post by Shakedown
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane

Could someone explain why this needs to be typename'd? I'm not completely familiar with typenames, and I would have written this same for loop (without a typename) and would have had the same problem. Why doesn't that work just as an iterator for the for loop?

Because in the expression vector<T>::iterator, T is a template parameter — that means, vector<T> is not really a type, it is a template from which a type will be generated. So the compiler can’t know what vector<T>::iterator will be at the moment it processes the enclosing class template — in which case it defaults to considering iterator a member object. This then causes a syntax error as the compiler sees for (someVariable it = ... ). By giving the typename there, you tell the compiler it should treat the symbol iterator as a type, rather than an object.

This typename stuff is one of the things that take a while to get, but the general (and inaccurate) rule is: When you do something like SomeType<T>::SomeNestedType, where T is a template parameter, you need to use typename there.

Quote:
Original post by Oxyd
Because in the expression vector<T>::iterator, T is a template parameter — that means, vector<T> is not really a type, it is a template from which a type will be generated.

Close, but not quite. vector<T> is unambiguously a type, and by itself needs no typename.

Quote:
In my code I do have a semicolon after the class declaration, and "using namespace std".

That is a bad idea.

Your ResourceManager class is a template class, so I'm safe to assume, that it is defined in a header file.

Having "using namespace std" in a header file is a bad idea, because every source file that include the header, will also include the "using namespace std", which isn't always desired. So, just to be safe, I would suggest to explicitly add "std::" everywhere, instead of "using namespace std" in a header file.

Just a tip. ;)

You can use "using namespace std;" inside of functions also. That
whey you don't need to type "std::" everywhere, any you don't get the
nasty defined in header file side effect.

Quote:
Original post by mzeo77
You can use "using namespace std;" inside of functions also.

Would this insert std:: at compile time or would there be any kind of overhead at runtime?

Quote:
Original post by Oxyd
And, regardless that, the std::vector object will not necessarily be on the stack — it will be in the same storage as the enclosing ResourceManager-type object (i.e., if you do new ResourceManager then the vector will be allocated in the free store even without newing it manually).

I didn't know that! I guess not using pointers inside the class would increase performance as well if a lot of new/delete is going on, would it not?

Paulius Maruska:
I'll remove the namespace as soon as I convert my resourcemanager into a class of it's own. Currently it's under development and currently labeled a "pet project" :)

Thanks again all!

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by mzeo77
You can use "using namespace std;" inside of functions also.

Would this insert std:: at compile time or would there be any kind of overhead at runtime?

It only affects visibility of the symbols — and symbols are entirely compile-time thing. It will not have any impact on runtime at all.

Quote:
I didn't know that! I guess not using pointers inside the class would increase performance as well if a lot of new/delete is going on, would it not?

new and delete are quite costly operations, yes.