Sign in to follow this  
CProgrammer

catching unhandled exceptions

Hi, I have a php script that executes a C++ application. Now in the unlikely event that the C++ app terminates with an unhandled exception how can I ensure that the php script catches this and continues working with appropriate measures. On Windows and apache I get an unhandled exception box which I close, much rather I would want this not to happen, instead have the php script deal wth it. I know a C++ app shouldnt have any exceptions of this kind but since you never knw I dont want this crashing the server or giing a user awkward responses. -CProgrammer

You can have a try catch statement in your main function that covers everything the program does. Although "continues working with appropriate measures" will be difficult and specific to each cause of the exception.

If the C++ program crashes, it will appear to your PHP script as though the program finished running. You don't need to do anything special to catch exceptions.

However, the crashed program still crashed, and so its a good bet that it didn't finish up whatever it was supposed to be doing. It is up to you to decide if that output is reliable, and if you could continue working.