Collada

Started by
2 comments, last by captainfreedom 15 years, 11 months ago
I am considering using Collada as the intermediate format for the game that we are writing, however the other people at work had some bad experiences with the format. They say it has quirky behaviour and is unreliable (especially regarding exporting normals). What do people here think? Is it a good format to use?
Advertisement
I like FBX better. The last time I used COLLADA, the exporters were half-assed and the XML schema wasn't even solid yet (not to mention the schema simply destroyed the C# XSD-to-code generator I was trying to use).

Maybe it's gotten better; I haven't looked at it for 6+ months.
Collada is painfull. Was supposed to be easy to use, but you gonna lose LOADS of time understanding how to actually read the data from the file. Not counting that there is no standard exportert/importer for it, FCollada implementation is just a joke and rarelly updated.

I have no idea how FBX is, personally I want to check it and Crosswalk also.
Quote:Original post by Doro
Collada is painfull. Was supposed to be easy to use, but you gonna lose LOADS of time understanding how to actually read the data from the file. Not counting that there is no standard exportert/importer for it, FCollada implementation is just a joke and rarelly updated.

I have no idea how FBX is, personally I want to check it and Crosswalk also.

Ok. Thanks for the info.
Still in two minds about collada. The fact that it is official standard by kronos holds a lot of weight.
From what I've seen so far the format itself seems to be well designed, but the quality of the tools fairly poor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement