road to making a game?

Started by
22 comments, last by Tom Sloper 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by steveworks
umm ok i have visual c++ 2005 and for the life of me SDL wont work!!! i have done everything that the numerous guides has told me but it just wont work!

does anyone have any ideas?

Yeah check out my other post and get started learning C/C++ properly. It's obvious you don't have enough experience at this point to start messing with SDL since it's really a no-brainer to set up if you've been programming for a while. But if you insist look up lazy-foo since his SDL tutorials seem to be quite popular.

[Edited by - daviangel on May 10, 2008 2:50:45 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
When I read your posts maybe this is something for you:
game maker.
Search for 'game maker' in Google.
ok i get it I dont have enough experiance with c++ so thanks for the book recomendations. I have to wonder though for the people in the industry just how many years do they spend learning how to program to work on a game like Gears or call or duty. well at least i can be sure i have a hobby that will take a looooooonnnnnnggg time to learn. thanks everyone for the help and i probably wont ever come back to this forum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Quote:Original post by steveworks
ok i get it I dont have enough experiance with c++ so thanks for the book recomendations. I have to wonder though for the people in the industry just how many years do they spend learning how to program to work on a [triple-A] game

After you've graduated high school and mastered the use of the Shift key and spelling and punctuation: 4 years of college, maybe 2 years working on mods, and at least 4 years working in the industry. So (after you've finished high school) figure another 10 years.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement