• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How can i remove this class, whats the problem?

This topic is 3575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(all the code and classes are my own, which makes this question look more stupid) http://nopaste.com/p/aP1gFCFtm if you look at main.cpp you'll see the class CSubTreeIterator_STL it looks like i can do without that class. I tried removing it but i get compile errors. It has something to do with conversion but i dont know why or how the extra class fixed that conversion. -Edit- No errors in this paste. When i try to remove that class there are errors [Edited by - EccentricSight on May 6, 2008 2:22:11 PM]

Advertisement
Post the exact errors and the lines that cause them (not just line numbers, the actual lines).

I don't see your main() function in what you call "main.cpp". Where does all this stuff get used?

There is a lot of source that goes with this. I removed except for what is needed to compile. There is no need for the rest of the source. The paste compiles and what i want to know is how can i remove the CSubTreeIterator_STL class without getting compile errors.

post the actual compiler errors. my brain can't compile your code

-me

Ok. It's easy:

Since none of the code is ever used, none of it needs to be there.

:| I cant believe people want more code AND compile errors along with the job of cleaning code instead of just cleaning code. Ok, here you go. the source http://nopaste.com/p/aMPorJBFp

the error (its on the line with return &subIt; )

error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'CSTLfiterator<_t,_t2,_t3> *__w64 ' to 'Cfiterator<_t> *'
with
[
_t=std::vector<CDirItems *>,
_t2=std::_Vector_const_iterator<CDirItems *,std::allocator<CDirItems *>>,
_t3=CDirItems *
]
and
[
_t=CTreeFIterator<const char *> *
]
Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast

enjoy ;P

It means exactly what it says. After making the changes to your code implied by the comments, subIt is a member of type CSTLfiterator<vector<CDirItems*>, vector<CDirItems*>::const_iterator, CDirItems*>. According to the class definition, that inherits from Cfiterator<CDirItems*>. Yet, you're trying to return its address from a method whose return value is the address of a Cfiterator<CTreeFIterator<const char *> *>, which is a completely different type. So maybe you need to clarify what you're trying to do here.

>So maybe you need to clarify what you're trying to do here.

Thats exactly why i didnt want to post the bug. People will think i am trying to solve it and not read my question

>According to the class definition, that inherits from Cfiterator<CDirItems*>. Yet, you're trying to return its address from a method whose return value is the address of a Cfiterator<CTreeFIterator<const char *> *>

CDirItems inherits CTreeFIterator<const char *>. So both of these are or should be Cfiterator<CTreeFIterator<const char *> *>.

If you look at the first paste you'll see that CSubTreeIterator_STL does nothing with itData. So i should be able to skip the class entirely (look at it, it does nothing) but i get that error instead. Why?
---------------------------------------------

For guys who are reading this part.
This is the first paste where everything works correctly http://nopaste.com/p/aP1gFCFtm
I want to remove class CSubTreeIterator_STL, guys kept bugging me for an error so i made this paste http://nopaste.com/p/aMPorJBFp . It seems like it doesnt like to mix Cfiterator<CDirItems*> and Cfiterator<CTreeFIterator<const char *> *> which both are Cfiterator<CTreeFIterator<const char *> *> . Now iam trying to understand why it works when i have the CSubTreeIterator_STL which does nothing and does not work w/o that class.

Quote:
Original post by EccentricSight
CDirItems inherits CTreeFIterator<const char *>. So both of these are or should be Cfiterator<CTreeFIterator<const char *> *>.

Nope, sorry. It isn't. That's your problem. Templates don't work that way. A Cfiterator over derived is not a kind of Cfiterator over base. In general, X<B> and X<D> have nothing to do with each other, inheritance-wise, even if D is derived from B. The missing class is, apparently (although I'm too busy with other stuff right now to grok it fully) a wrapper which causes this relationship to exist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement