Icon in ALT-TAB taskbar

Started by
5 comments, last by Deaken Frost 15 years, 11 months ago
When I run an application I coded, and you use the ALT + TAB keys, you see the icon of that application in the mini taskbar in windows. How do I disable the icon of the application to show up in that mini taskbar? I'm using C#... Thank you!
Advertisement
Do you mean the system tray, down next to the clock?

I don't know for C# but in VB2005 nothing appears down there unless you create a notification icon within your project. If you're wanting to hide the program from the taskbar altogether then there should be a property you can set within your WinForms application.
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper
Do you mean the system tray, down next to the clock?

No, I mean when you push the ATL + TAB buttons, you see the icon of my applications in that window that pops up that shows you the different icons of all the applications you have opened. I do not want the icon of my applications to show on that window. That is all.

Quote:If you're wanting to hide the program from the taskbar altogether then there should be a property you can set within your WinForms application.

Unfortunately, there is no thing that prevents what I am looking for in the properties tab, or I just can't see it.

Thank you,
Please help...
Any window which has a button on the taskbar will have an entry in Alt-Tab. This is not something that you have any control over.

In order to ensure that your window does not have a taskbar button (and therefore an entry in Alt-Tab) you can specify the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style. In C# there is probably an option along the lines of Tool Window which will set this for you.
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne
Any window which has a button on the taskbar will have an entry in Alt-Tab. This is not something that you have any control over.

Partially correct, any window which is created as a non-modal dialog will have an alt-tab entry, only windows which have been set to have one will have a taskbar button.
Even modal dialogs can have an Alt-Tab entry.

The full criteria is something along the lines of

The window has the WS_EX_APPWINDOW style or (GetParent() == NULL and WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW is not specified).

The reason that it cannot depend on modality is that there isnt a way to tell if a window is modal. Plus, the idea of the taskbar buttons and the Alt-Tab entries is to switch between an application's main windows (modal or not).
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne
In order to ensure that your window does not have a taskbar button (and therefore an entry in Alt-Tab) you can specify the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style. In C# there is probably an option along the lines of Tool Window which will set this for you.

You can achieve the effect by setting the windows FormBorderstyle property to FormBorderstyle.FixedToolWindow (not resizeable) or to FormBorderstyle.SizableToolWindow (resizeable).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement