Sign in to follow this  
Jharii

3d Engine - C#

Noobs ask noob questions. So here it goes. I am looking for advice on a good 3d engine which I can use in C#. My intent is to create a multiplayer board game similar to Runebound or Descent (www.fantasyflightgames.com) or Talisman utilizing 3d graphics and implementing a tile-based engine which allows for custom "gameboard" creation. I am new to game programming and am simply looking for a solid first step. What I am trying to avoid is testing 5-10 graphical engines until I find one I like. I know this may be unavoidable, but all advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Quote:
Original post by Kelly G
I'm using one called Irrlicht.NET CP. It is a wrapper over the Irrlicht Engine, which does graphics and some other useful things like collision detection.

Irrlicht has always interested me, however Irrlicht CP has little to no documentation associated with it and the forums seem stagnant and somewhat uninformative.

As I mentioned, I am a noob. I followed the limited installation instructions to no avail. I had access to the namespace but no access to the functionality.

Yeah there's some decent stuff for XNA. TorqueX is pretty nice, but the documentation for the 3D stuff is rather lacking. Some of the XNA starter kits (RacingGame, ShipGame) could offer a nice codebase to start with too, even if you don't consider them "engines" per se.

Thanks. I think I will pursue the project with XNA. I did investigate it previously and I already have a couple of XNA books, so it would make sense. Having added confirmation helps a lot.

And while it is not a true game engine, it is likely that I will not need the overhead that other engines may carry, so it may be perfect.

Thanks again.

Quote:
however Irrlicht CP has little to no documentation associated with it and the forums seem stagnant and somewhat uninformative.

I hadn't noticed the documentation problem with irrlicht.NET CP because I started with regular Irrlicht and then switched. A lot of the original Irrlicht documentation also applies to Irrlicht.NET CP. Now the original documentation for Irrlicht isn't really that great to begin with, but that seems to be a pretty common problem in these small-team freeware libraries.

Then there is Blade3D, which should be officially released on friday I believe, right now there is a free beta. It's a complete game engine based around XNA, and I for one like it a lot, and at this stage would recommend it, especially for a beginner, because a lot of stuff can be made to work with no code. When you get to code, it has its own IDE for editing C# and shaders.

There is also MOGRE, a managed wrapper around OGRE, which is a very good gfx engine. www.ogre3d.org

I have also used TorqueX 2.0, it seems pretty good but unfornately as always seems to be the case with GG, the documentation just doesn't exist.

XNA is great and I love it too, but it does take a bit of work if you want to go beyond the basics that are included, but those basics can get you a long way if you're not looking for cutting edge effects.