Sign in to follow this  
coolblue

[.net] Exit loop

I have a simulation running in a winforms gdi+ application. I have a while loop and it can theoretically fun forever. In need to be able to exit this loop if the user presses a certain key (ie "p"). The keypress event does not work and neither does the processCmdKey method as they will not fire until the loop has finished. How do I exit this loop with a keypress.

Alternatively, it might be more sensible to run this task in a background thread. There are numerous ways of doing this - probably the tidiest from a WinForms point of view is to use the BackgroundWorker component.

Making your app multithreaded will retain a responsive UI, and it can take better advantage of the increasingly popular multiple core CPUs.

Quote:
Original post by benryves
Alternatively, it might be more sensible to run this task in a background thread. There are numerous ways of doing this - probably the tidiest from a WinForms point of view is to use the BackgroundWorker component.

Making your app multithreaded will retain a responsive UI, and it can take better advantage of the increasingly popular multiple core CPUs.
This is the way that's generally recommended in best-practices documents, IIRC.