Sign in to follow this  
backspin

Glut window on top

Hi, I am using glut with mfc. Works ok, but is it possible to have the glut window always on top? MFC dialogs have such option ( SetWindowPos(&wndTopMost,.....) and I don't know if there is an option like this while creating glut window???

i dont think you can, glut is a very simple windowing kit, if it can be called that way.
its main feature is the fact its fast and easy to setup a rendering window that will work on several operatin systems, but thats pretty much it (it has several other features ofc, but they're also rather simple).

ok, i found out a way to do this, but requires the use of 2 win32 API functions. the trick is to get the handle to the glut window and then use that handle to set the window always-on-top (can be used for many other win32 API calls).
on your main() function (or in whatever function you setup your window):

glutCreateWindow( "ogl" ); //create window with glut
HWND hwnd = FindWindow( "GLUT", "ogl" ); //get its handle "GLUT" = class name "ogl" = window caption
SetWindowPos( hwnd, HWND_TOPMOST, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, SWP_NOREPOSITION | SWP_NOSIZE ); //set the window always-on-top

one final note, set the character set to "Multi-Byte character set" on the general project options on visual studio or else it will give a compilation error on FindWindow(...) call (at least on visual studio 2005).

hope that helps.