Sign in to follow this  
ahmetay

Problem with virtual camera - solving maze with virtual camera

Hi friends, in my project, I have to get out of the maze, I have to solve the maze using directx with virtual camera. For this, I have a generic camera class, that moves forward - backward, left- right etc. To move camera forward, I just change the camera's 'z' position. But it does not give the movement effect. For example, pressing the 'up' key, I want to move the camera forward. My camera class's render function is below: void Camera::render(LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 & device) { D3DXMATRIX matView; // the view transform matrix D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&matView, &D3DXVECTOR3 (camX, camY, camZ), // the camera position &D3DXVECTOR3 (lookAtX, lookAtY, lookAtZ), // the look-at position &D3DXVECTOR3 (0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f)); // the up direction device->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &matView); // set the view transform to matView D3DXMATRIX matProjection; // the projection transform matrix D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&matProjection, D3DXToRadian(60), // the horizontal field of view 640 / 480, // the aspect ratio 1.0f, // the near view-plane 100.0f); // the far view-plane device->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &matProjection); // set the projection return; } Everything is performed by the function D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(). camX, camY, camZ, and lookAtX, lookAtY, lookAtZ are static private members of camera class. When pressing the up key, I call the code block: if (KEY_DOWN(VK_UP)) { cam->setCamZ(z+=0.5); } I just change the camera's z position. Is this enough to move the camera forward. When I do this, the camera dooes not give the moving forward effect. Using 6 variables, camX, camY, camZ, and lookAtX, lookAtY, lookAtZ , how can I move the camera and how to solve the maze. Thanks a lot. I realy, realy need your replies friends. thanks.

thanks. I tried the LookAtZ position. but to move the camera ahead, is it enough JUST change LookAt Z position? When I did this, I did not take moving ahead effect. If you explain, I will be very gratefull.

Changing the camera position and the lookat point should be sufficient.

For your purposes right now, pos.z += 0.5f and lookAt.z += 0.5f should work, assuming you don't change the world matrix and the lookAt vector is correct to begin with.

In the project, I draw the maze and move the camera at the same time.

To begin with, I set the D3DXMatrixLookAtLH's parameters in constructor to,
float Camera::camX=-1;
float Camera::camY=-2;
float Camera::camZ=3;
float Camera::lookAtX=-1;
float Camera::lookAtY=-1;
float Camera::lookAtZ=-1;

and maze's initial coordinates are x=-2,y=-2,z=0 to the function D3DXCreateBox with D3DXMatrixTranslation() function.

Are these initial parameters correct?
When I run it, it does not draw the maze.

thanks.

thanks for your help Buckeye. I am new to directx, not expert in directx for this reason i asked so.
i searched the google and i found what i need.
For those who need basic camera and basic directx codes, refer to http://www.two-kings.de/download.html.