Textures mess up in the distance even with mipmapping

Started by
5 comments, last by Wilhelm van Huyssteen 15 years, 11 months ago
in my 3D app textures in the distance or thats being veiwed from a certain angle distorts greatly.. mipmapping only makes it a little bit better screenshot here: http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6421/haxfv5.jpg i might be doing something wrong in creating my mipmap but thats pretty simple and i cant think that i made my mistake there. im also using linear filtering my engine is nothing much yet so im guessing/hoping that its a common problem
Advertisement
How about using Anisotropic Filtering?
Doesn't look distorted at all? What I'm seeing are black "spots", though, which are an aliasing artefact. Normally MIP maps should avoid just that.

You said you use linear filtering... what kind (there are half a dozen "linear" modes)? It should be GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR for best results.
Also, if anisotropic filtering is supported, you should enable it, this helps to greatly improve image quality at sheer surfaces at relatively little extra cost.

If playing with filter parameters does not help, you can try to reduce contrast or remove high frequencies from the lower mip levels (in other words, fade out the black lines a bit). That should make everything look smoother in the distance.
That's the expected result. Those are nice textures, by the way. Try using something better than linear filtering. Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic.
You probably know that one already, but in case you haven't read it yet, this is a quite comprehensive document that describes pretty much everything there is to say about texturing, including MIP maps and all filter methods.
Are you sure mipmapping is enabled ? It certainly doesn't look like it, in the screenshot.

Y.
thnx for the quick replies

i was using GL_LINEAR which i now merely replaced with GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR as was recommended by samoth, giving me this

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7125/haxsn0.jpg

which looks pretty nice cept for the fact that surfaces at a big angle goes a bit dull, but since i dont know it i will be reading that document that samoth linked for me :p [www.awprofessional.com] and i will. Il try Anastropic filtering as well (not that i know anything about that but google is always there to help, it got me this far and i got all the images i use as textures from google image search as wel)

now if i can just get my interpolation / alpha blending / whatever u call it working propely i wil start playing with fog

i know its not in the thread topic but maybe i can get a quick answer to that problem:

my interpolation (is that is what u call it, not sure anyway its the blending of the current physics state with the previous one based on the amount of time that passed between rendering the current frame and the previous physic state, wel thats how i understand it at least and i think/hope thats what u call interpolation)

my interpolation works fine and everything is smooth but every 10 seconds or so the animation gets a bit jagged for about 2 seconds (as if interpolation was never used in the first place) now most probely according to me this is some mistake i made somewhere in my code that is unique and thus theres no way anyone can help me with it but then again i might be wrong and this weird behaviour might be something already defined so i gues its worth asking

thank you for yout time

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement