• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CornyKorn21

OpenGL Mip-Map Level Selection

This topic is 3786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know OpenGL and DirectX have built-in functionality to create and utilize Mip-Maps for texturing. Does anyone have any information on how Mip-Maps determine which level to utilize? So as the image gets further away from the camera in the world it switches to a smaller version of the texture. What algorithm does it use to know when to switch up or down in size. I have searched Google and Google scholar for information but with no luck. I found a paper titled "MIP-Map Level Selection for Texture Mapping" although it seems to spend most of the time discussing minification and filtering methods not selection of texture. I may have all the information I need right in front of me but lack the knowledge to understand and implement. If someone could please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Advertisement
OpenGL specification describes in detail how the level is selected. Basically the level is picked based on the rate of change of texture coordinates when moving from one pixel to the next.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!