The fall of civilization

Started by
17 comments, last by jesot 15 years, 10 months ago
I'm not an MMO player so this may be off base, but it seems to me less an aspect of maturity than actually implementing in gameplay the "Great Chain of Being," that moral philosophy of obligation that held so many medieval societies in check. The players don't believe in it, so the gameplay has to motivate them toward acts of responsibility, magnaminity and justice.

I think you'll need a fairly good simulation of the populace to pull this off. The citizens need to hold concepts like legitimacy along with happiness, so that even if a usurper takes the throne and makes people happy there will always be those that see it as an offense.

Does in-game religion play any role? Maybe this could also be a motivating factor for getting players to behave a certain way, even if it's functional and somewhat hollow.

Finally, I wonder if you can make the social aspect somewhat secondary to the population management aspect in order to encourage more of that sense of obligation? For instance, those that do the most for the peasantry have the largest voices in the player-to-player social arena. A king, for instance, might rate a vassal player poorly, causing that vassal player's people to be harder to deal with; or, the vassal may be so popular (a war hero?) that the king has trouble in the social arena moving against him/her because it would cause unrest in his own kingdom.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
While not quite what you are talking about, the MMO Eve Online has players who run corporations, which make them a sort of king with alot of power and wealth. The larger corporations are quite big and can take control of certain areas of space.
scottrick49
Yes, EvE is a good example of this. In the fringes of space, it's a free-for-all, and yet for the residents, it's safer and more organized than the newbie zones, because the risk of loss and the complex politics make acts of random violence foolhardy, and the organized invasions are detected and responded to before too many peasants get ravaged.

It's also quite satisfactory to be a "subject" out there, because all your achievement gameplay is available and you can hang out with your friends and farm and do all that MMO stuff, and few players really regret not being able to participate in the high-level administration. To be fair, it probably has less to do with the social structure and more to do with the fact that high-level administration in EvE is six different flavors of boring bullshit, with a garnish of tedium and a side of deep-fried drudgery.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
high-level administration in EvE is six different flavors of boring bullshit, with a garnish of tedium and a side of deep-fried drudgery.

That made me laugh. Do you often use culinary imagery, Iron Chef Carnage, or is this only a coincidence?

Oh, and to be more on topic:

If EVE can do it in space, then it ought to be workable in a feudal setting as well, wouldn't you think?
A game that might be good to have a look at is "Sword of the Samurai" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Samurai). In this game the player plays as the Head of a Household and trys to advance their household's standing, eventually making it to Shogun. It contains many of the elements like marriage, family standings, etc that have been discussed.
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I'm not an MMO player so this may be off base, but it seems to me less an aspect of maturity than actually implementing in gameplay the "Great Chain of Being," that moral philosophy of obligation that held so many medieval societies in check. The players don't believe in it, so the gameplay has to motivate them toward acts of responsibility, magnaminity and justice.

I wasn't aware of this chart, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the referral.

Quote:I think you'll need a fairly good simulation of the populace to pull this off. The citizens need to hold concepts like legitimacy along with happiness, so that even if a usurper takes the throne and makes people happy there will always be those that see it as an offense.

Agreed. In the game, the population will hopefully adhere to some modicum of allegiance to families as opposed to individuals. Since the game mechanic of bloodlines would be in play, hopefully the populace will take severe offense if a long line of benevolent kings is abruptly brought to a bloody end by someone who "thinks" they can do a better job. No telling for sure, but it seems logical enough, particularly if the individual's motives include greed or megalomania.

Quote:Does in-game religion play any role? Maybe this could also be a motivating factor for getting players to behave a certain way, even if it's functional and somewhat hollow.

To a certain extent; there's an all-around "good vs. evil" pseudo-religion with few opportunities for misconstruing one for the other. The "good god" granted peace, magic, healing, knowledge, and other cool stuff to the masses, whereas the "evil god" perverted those to his own liking.

Quote:Finally, I wonder if you can make the social aspect somewhat secondary to the population management aspect in order to encourage more of that sense of obligation? For instance, those that do the most for the peasantry have the largest voices in the player-to-player social arena. A king, for instance, might rate a vassal player poorly, causing that vassal player's people to be harder to deal with; or, the vassal may be so popular (a war hero?) that the king has trouble in the social arena moving against him/her because it would cause unrest in his own kingdom.

I suppose this could be supported in game mechanics with a faction system that is directly controlled by heads-of-faction. For example, a mercenary who takes on a quest for Kingdom X has his favor/faction variable increased if he succeeds in the quest, and lowered if he fails. Since the faction variables could also be passed down to later generations (imagine being son of a hero, or daughter of the betrayer of the kingdom), cleaning up your ancestor's messes might become an important factor if a player, playing as the character of a well-known servant/tyrant of the realm, wants to live life differently than his parents did.
Sounds like a multiplayer, online version of The Guild where every character is human-controlled... Could be cool, and very-well could work if done properly.

In The Guild 2 (never played the first one), you start out with a modest home and some cash to get started on a business venture. Your basic goal is to take your family's name up to the top of the social ladder. All kinds of alliances, deceptions, rivalries, agreements, etc. are involved in this that would translate well to a multiplayer environment.

I'd take a ton from that game for this idea and mix in a lot of the concepts from Eve Online (every new online game should be taking as much from Eve as possible).
Quote:Original post by domhnall4h
Then how does the 'King' get his gold?

This single sentence immediately caught my eye. The answer is simple - tie it to the in-game economy. All items bought from an NPC under the vassalage of a lord automatically send a percentage to the 'King' (or his financial advisor). The King could easily impose taxes upon non-NPC shopkeepers by threatening them with the mercenary forces you also mention if they fail to pay up (who will, if he picks the Killers that got into the game, steal the victim's possessions, money, horse, and wife, and probably burn his shop down for good measure). This is likely to upset people (rich merchants), leading to a high rebellion rate and/or other players splitting off to form their own kingdoms. We can assume that the 'King' would prefer to profit for himself than upset others (unless he's a Killer, in which case his reign is likely to be very short and bloody anyway), so the 'Tax Collectors' come in. All of this is perfectly implementable with just a few tweaks to the normal MMO systems of trading and titles - perhaps a king can bestow titles upon vassals, who can then spread any titles the king has allowed them to.
Let's show an example:

'Gog the Great' serves under 'Keiran the King' as the 'Commander of the Guard'. His majesty has bestowed upon Gog the power to assign the following titles: 'Sergant of the Guard, Corporal of the Guard, Captain of the Guard, Lieuteneunt of the Guard, etc.'.

The problem I see here is His Majesty having to create all the titles he wanted, along with titles they could assign. This could be solved by pre-defined titles.
Dulce non decorum est.
Quote:So the thought that came into my head this evening as I was coming up with the list of title-contingencies is, given all of the above factors, "can a game developer honestly trust in the civilization and maturity of players to allow a few of their peers to play the game as rulers?"

If the game mechanics make it really hard or very punishing to abuse the power, then of course it's possible. If it takes a long time to build up your family to that level of power, how many would really be willing to risk it all to be tyrant? I know I would, but I'm a fairly sinister gamer to begin with...

Not sure how the initial game world could/should/would start, but as a new player, you could begin by working for another player in the fields or in a shop or inn... You character would gain skill in that trade, and that skill combined moreso with your social relationship with the owner and fellow workers could lead to a higher position.

To make things less boring, and to bring about some of the Eve elements, your character could become an NPC when you aren't logged in and go about his/her normal business - maybe you could set a schedule for the character to go by while you're away like some text-based web games use.

Increase your reputation and standing in the town/village/etc. and maybe run for a public office.

Not sure how you'd want to deal with PvP, but I imagine that combat skills would be tough to train without time and money-backing... So soldiers would likely only be viable if they were funded by another character, or group of characters that had a bit of cash... So that helps with griefing and protection at least a decent bit...

[Edited by - jesot on May 27, 2008 1:54:35 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement