Sign in to follow this  
brain21

Open Source Editor

Hi, I'm looking to make a simulator. I'm working on the simulator part now, but I was wondering if there are any 3d editor programs that are open source and are made to be customize to my needs. Sort of like a starter base code. Something that looks like Max3d or the sort. I've tried googling around, but I keep getting free 3d editors (modeling). Brain21.

Quote:
Original post by brain21
...but I was wondering if there are any 3d editor programs that are open source...
I've tried googling around, but I keep getting free 3d editors.

(Emphasis added to highlight my confusion)
I think I know what you're getting at... but I'm not quite sure if I fully understand.
Can you clarify what it is that you're looking for?

Horde3d (a graphics engine) has an open source "3d editor" (scene designer type tool).
It already already allows to to write simple simulations using LUA, so it wouldn't be too hard to extend it to incorporate some C/C++ simulation instead.

Quote:
Original post by brain21
Can I modify the editors for my needs with these? I'll check them out.

Blender and Wings3d are both 3d modelling programs, but they are open source so you could edit them to suit your needs. A fully featured modeller might be overkill depending on your needs however. Something like the Horde editor would be a lot more "bare bones" than one of these.

I guess I'm looking for an already made viewport/toolbar/menu system that can be added to to make your own editor. Like a starting point for my own editor. I want to concentrate mostly on the simulation and not the editor. This editor should handle mouse clicks/drags and keyboard. stuff like that. have tabs for menus. A starting point I guess.

[edit]
Like a 3d editor that I can customize to my needs.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
Quote:
Original post by thre3dee
So you want to edit a several hundred thousand line of code 3D editor?....

If it takes several hundred thousands lines to "handle mouse clicks/drags and keyboard/ stuff like that/ have tabs for menus"... :P

I'm just guessing lol.. but first you have to have an idea of how the program was coded. But I'd say that any high-end 3D editor like 3dsmax and Blender would have a lot of code...

Quote:
Original post by brain21
so there's nothing I can start out with? I have to code the editor myself? There must be an easier way.

Did you check out the Horde editor I posted? If you've got time, download a copy and see if it's too complex/not simple enough for your needs. If it's simmilar to what you want, then all the source code is freely available to edit...

So, if I understand correctly, you intend to write a program that is a simulation of something or another, and want to use 3D models with it. However, instead of creating 3D models in a well developed and already existing program, then importing those models into your simulation, you want to immerse yourself in a honed, specific purposed, very complex project, and hack it to do both jobs?

I would like to believe that there is a much easier way.

Anyways, I believe most major 3D modeling programs have had the foresight to accommodate plugins and this should offer you a sufficient level of customization; even if you have to go so far as to define a unique file format that includes any extra information that you need to incorporate.

Can I ask, more specifically, what your end goal is, what you are trying to simulate, and why you think it's a better choice to modify a graphical editor to accomplish your goal?

I'll try out the Horde editor and see.

I'm trying to make a virtual machine sim for work. The reason I need the editor to be customizable is that I want to create simple shapes (cubes, prizms, ect) and then be able to add custom data to each one like weight, strength, friction. Then click a button and see the simulation. The sim would interface to an external computer (PLC) that would control the machine.

Quote:
Original post by brain21
I'll try out the Horde editor and see.

I'm trying to make a virtual machine sim for work. The reason I need the editor to be customizable is that I want to create simple shapes (cubes, prizms, ect) and then be able to add custom data to each one like weight, strength, friction. Then click a button and see the simulation. The sim would interface to an external computer (PLC) that would control the machine.

Well, like I said, you could take advantage of a plugin system for the extra information and export to a custom format.

But... as of several years ago, Blender started expanding its functionality towards the end of being not just a 3d modeler/scene modeling tool, but an entire gaming platform. It has most of what you need already, is free software, costs nothing, and is open source, and is designed with a very easy to use plugin system.